Friday, September 13, 2024

September 13, 2024 (Friday the 13th)

 Howdy folks, and happy Friday the 13th. Well, the debate is old news by now, so I can't add much to what's already been said, but even though the corporate media pundits have claimed that Kamala crushed Trump, it doesn't seem to have helped her campaign. She's still leading nationally (in the popular vote) by 1.5%, the same number as pre-debate, while Trump has taken back the electoral college prognostication (287 to 251), which had Kamala ahead before the debate. Therefore, she's actually doing worse, electorally, than she was before the debate in which she supposedly tore Trump a new one.

And that's because people aren't as stupid as the media thinks they are. I won't go on a tirade because I know she's your gal, but c'mon. Even if you loved her schtick on the debate stage (and I agree that she's a great comedian), you still have to admit that she didn't answer any policy questions except with vague platitudes, and when you go into the grocery store, eggs are still 8 bucks a dozen. Bread is 6 bucks. A regular size bag of chips is 7 bucks. They give out inflation percentage numbers like 9%, 20%, but in Los Angeles, many products have doubled in price, like milk, which went from 1.99 a gallon to 3.99 a gallon. That's 100% inflation. Egg prices have tripled and quadrupled. And it's not just the inflation (though that is reason enough not to vote for her), it's also the radical far-left wokeness that sides with criminals over law abiding citizens, that allows the border to be overrun, and that promotes the kind of cultural and transhumanist insanity we are seeing. If I had kids, I doubt I'd let them attend a public school, not with the curriculum they're teaching.

I hope she not only loses but loses big, maybe even by 75 to 100 electoral votes, so that the Democrats will never try this again. Don't run someone who's this far left. I mean, she makes Bernie Sanders look like a centrist. 

Well anyhow. I don't have a Montgomery Clift movie for you (still waiting for the dvd to arrive at the Libe). Instead, I've been watching episodes of "Millennium", that other series from Chris Carter with an even darker theme than "The X-Files". I own the complete series on dvd and run through it about every five years or so. I've also been watching eps of a show called "Promised Land", which aired for three years (1996-99) during the time I lived with my Mom. In fact, it was Mom who introduced me to the show, about a family who has lost their home in an economic downturn and is travelling the country in a trailer. They drive wherever the road takes them, finding jobs in small towns, and they help others and are helped along the way. It's kind of a Christian, middle-class family version of "Easy Rider" without the drugs. Like Dennis Hopper and Peter Fonda, the family is "discovering America". The mother is an ex-hippie and rock groupie (there's even an episode starring Joe Walsh), while Dad (Gerald McRaney of "Simon and Simon" fame) is a Vietnam vet who lost his job when the factory closed down. Every episode has a humanitarian problem to solve. The show was a spin-off of "Touched by an Angel", which was my Mom's favorite show at that time. I enjoyed "Touched" also, but liked "Promised Land" enough to buy the complete series on dvd, and in watching it now, it not only reminds me of the years I lived with Mom, but the late 1990s in general, just before the Internet took over and when only a fraction of the population had cell phones. I think it was a better and friendlier time, and there's no reason we can't return to it. We really don't need to live this current lifestyle. We got along fine in a world without gadgets.

I've been listening to David Gilmour's excellent new album, "Luck and Strange", which - besides his singular voice and soaring, trademark guitar solos - features a poignant song called "Between Two Points", sung by his daughter Romany, whose own angelic voice you may remember from pandemic times, when the Gilmours were making podcasts from their barn as "The Von Trapped Family". Their show was hosted by son Charlie Gilmour, and featured the whole family (including the dog) on a red velvet-draped set. David Gilmour would often sing a song and was usually accompanied by Romany on harp and vocals, and she got a lot of positive comments, some of which (including my own) suggested that David record with her. Now, he's not only done that, but he's bringing Romany along on his upcoming tour, which promises to be fantastic. I'll be going to at least one show and hopefully more. It's amazing to see artists nearing 80, like Gilmour and Jon Anderson, who are still at the top of their game.

In books, I've just finished Paul Tremblay's "Horror Movie", which I highly recommend. Talk about an original writer. Tremblay gets inside your head and messes around in there. Everything is internalised in his books, he talks to himself and second-guesses his characters. Give him a read for something entirely different, and while I'm at it I might as well make another plug for my own recently released book "Pearl the Wonder Girl", available now at Lulu.com. Here's the copy and paste link:

 www.lulu.com/search?sortBy=RELEVANCE&page=1&q=pearl+the+wonder+girl&pageSize=10&adult_audience_rating=00

Or just go to Lulu.com and enter "Pearl the Wonder Girl" onto the search window. You'll be glad you did.

Well, that's about all for today. Sorry for the brevity. Next time we'll have a Monty Movie and we'll soon be starting Halloween Season which will mean a massive, in-depth search for unseen horror flicks. If it's anywhere near as successful as last year's effort, it'll be a doozy. I'm also working hard on my next book (due out hopefully by my birthday), which began life as a caregiving story but has bloomed into quite a bit more. For example: have you ever wondered if your neighbors might be secret agents?

What part of "Karen on a mattress in the living room" do you not understand? 

No comments:

Post a Comment