Monday, September 10, 2018

Capitol DC Fest + Solo Singin' + "The Durango Kid" series with Charles Starrett

I've gotta do another "Hey Elizabeth"!, so I thought I'd announce it in advance. Okay, so here it comes :

Hey Elizabeth! I hope "Elemental" did well at CapitolDCFest. Or maybe today was the screening and the announcement of winners is yet to come. Whatever the case, you and your colleagues have gotta be a cinch to win, so congratulations in advance.  :)

I hope you are still getting to sightsee, and maybe even take a tour of the White House (the current occupant notwithstanding). :)

This morning in church I sang my first solo. It was just the middle verse of our anthem for this week, as mentioned recently, but I was singing into a microphone for the first  time, so it was just me and the pianist and it went over pretty well, so hopefully I will get a chance to do it again in the not too distant future.

Tonight's movie was.........well, wait a minute.  //

Yes, of course tonight's movie was a Western. I just bought seventeen of 'em, remember?

So you already knew what the deal was gonna be, but what you didn't know was that tonight's Western was my first Serial Western, the kind they used to make in the 1940s and early 50s to show to kids at Saturday afternoon matinees. These were Cowboy movies made for boys in about the 7 to 15 age range, each movie was only 55 minutes to an hour long, so theater owners could fit them onto a double bill with a cartoon and a feature film, like a monster movie or whatever. When I say that a serial Western was made for kids, think of "The Lone Ranger".  That is the style I mean. The quality is still high, but the plots and dialogue are more broadly expressed in clear cut moral tones that a kid could understand without a lot of adult psychological underpinning. They are made for fun, in other words. I had heard a lot about these serials, all of which which featured a recurring character, a Hero, and though I wasn't around when the Saturday Matinee format was still in use, I have read a lot of reviews from folks a decade older than me who have fond memories of seeing their favorite Western Heroes taking on bad guys every few months onscreen, back in the 1940s and 50s.

One of those Saturday Afternoon Cowboys was Charles Starrett, who played "The Durango Kid" in at least ten pictures.

The title of the movie was "Blazing Across The Pecos". When I was a little kid, in the mid-60s, one of my favorite Disney characters was Pecos Bill, an orphan boy who was raised by a pack of wild coyotes. The Pecos Bill stories took place in Texas and other parts of the Southwest, but in tonight's movie, they actually Blazed Across Iverson Ranch, which is in Chatsworth, lol.  "Blazing" was directed once again by our currently favored craftsman, the expert Ray Nazarro, who is incapable of not delivering the goods. It was lot of fun, so much so in fact that I am gonna get me the entire ten-pack set of "Durango Kid" Westerns at Amazon, on sale for only 8 bucks.

I wish I had a Time Machine, and could go back and forth through the years and decades at will.

Experiences and their memories, and even the feelings gleaned from years not actually lived, are too precious to the soul not to be able to revisit and rekindle.

Thinking of my Dad, gone ten years ago tonight but still with me every moment.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment