Saturday, September 15, 2018

Downtown L.A. + "Elemental" on StandardVision + My Walking Tour

So today I went Downtown. Took the Red Line from the North Hollywood station. I chose the subway over the train because it stops at 7th street, which is quite a bit closer to L.A. Live than is Union Station. That would have been a three mile walk, and six round trip, which I can do no problem, but I wanted to enjoy my trip and not make it into a workout. I have hikes for that purpose. Anyhow, it was a gorgeous day, about 90 degrees Downtown (96 in the Valley), with the kind of dry air that signals the oncoming of Indian Summer. I walked down Flower Street toward 9th and then up 9th to Olympic. I passed The Original Pantry and knew L.A Live was next. That's my route from the Metro/7th Station when I go to concerts at Nokia or Staples.

Suddenly I looked up and saw the giant StandardVision screen on the side of the Marriott Hotel. I hadn't been aware of it until recently, and in Googling I see it has only been in place since 2014. I've only been to L.A. Live once since then, to see Judas Priest earlier this year and may have walked right past it with my mind intent on the concert, but anyhow - there it was, broadcasting in full color in broad daylight. I got there at about 1:45pm.

At first, the screen was showing nothing but commercials, for Verizon, T-Mobile and a promo for the upcoming Universal Studios Horror Nights. I stood in the shade of a tree just across a small side street from the screen, and I watched. Fifteen minutes went by, then twenty, and I was beginning to worry that I'd got the cutoff date wrong, which I had thought was September 19th. But then all of a sudden the screen said, "StandardVision Presents 'The Flower' (I think that was the title, but not 100% certain), and it appeared to be a short film. But it wasn't a dance film, and so I still wasn't sure what was happening. Before leaving, I had tried to Google links for StandardVision to find out a broadcast schedule but was unsuccessful in finding one. "The Flower" ended, and more Verizon commercials began, and I thought, "hmmm...was that film part of the artist's program or not"?

But then the next thing happened pretty quickly after only another minute or two of Verizon. Good thing I had my camera ready to go. Just when I was worried that I had missed the date, all of a sudden there was Solomon on the screen. The very next thing is that it said "Elemental by (last names of all three of you guys). Sorry but I don't put last names in the blog unless it's about bad guys. But yeah, all three of your names were up there. My intent had been to get a photo of the credits, because in the pics your friends had posted so far, nobody had captured your name yet. Unfortunately, it happened too suddenly after the uncertainty, and I was not able to get a shot of the names. But, I did get a few shots indeed. They aren't as clear as some of the ones your friends posted, but they came out okay, and I posted one on my FB this evening, in a set of pics from my overall walking tour. I don't post on your FB, just because that's the way it's been for a long time, but you can see the photo in my 2018 album.

Most importantly though, it was amazing to see! All of a sudden, there was Solomon, moving through the changing background scenery, and then - boom! - there was the title, "Elemental" and then your name, right there over L.A. Live on Olympic Boulevard.

It was cool to hear about when you first announced it a couple months ago, but today I got to see it in person, and so even more of the "projection of Intent" phenomenon was felt.

Not only that, but it looks great on the Big Screen. You guys did great! You played Downtown in the entertainment capital of the world.  :)

Well, I was lucky to see it, and so after that I did my usual walking tour of Downtown, hitting some but not all of the usual stops on my way back to Union Station. I knew I would depart from there rather than the 7th/Metro Station where I'd arrived, because if I wanted to see the sights I knew I had to walk all the way back. Union Station is on the far east edge of Downtown, three miles from L.A. Live, but three is a piece of cake for me, and so I took my time and had fun hitting most of my favorite places. 

First I walked back to 7th Street and up toward Olive, to get the obligatory photo of The Athletic Club. That is a "can't miss", partly in honor of Dad. Then I kept going down to 5th Street and up to Grand, where I stopped inside the Central Library, an enormous facility the size of ten local libes. There I scored four previously unseen Film Noirs, an added bonus to my trip. Then from Central Libe I went a fair distance North, past Disney Hall and The Music Center, and then up to one of my very favorite places, Our Lady Queen Of The Angels Cathedral, the main Catholic Church of Los Angeles. I stop there every time I go Downtown, and I am always humbled by the feeling inside. The way the light falls on the interior, and above on the organ pipes, feels very spiritual and never fails to bring a strong feeling.

From the Cathedral I walked further North. I could see the light posts from Dodger Stadium rising above the hill in which Chavez Ravine is held. I went past the old, architecturally important Department Of Water And Power building, and over the bridge across the freeway. Then I was in Chinatown, which looks and feels as it always has, and always will. Time stops in Chinatown.

At the corner on Alameda, I passed Philippe's, then walked a couple of blocks South again to Olvera Street. You can't go Downtown and not go to Olvera. It is sunnier at this end of DTLA because you are no longer in the shade of tall buildings (though we've got nothing on Manhattan on that score), and when you are on Alameda, you feel the "Southern California" mix with the Downtown, because of the sun. I did a quick walk through of Olvera Street to get to La Luz Del Dia restaurant at the west end. La Luz was where Dad would always take us before a Dodger Game, after a Saturday spent at The Athletic Club. To me, it is one of the iconic Mexican Restaurants in Los Angeles, just because of those nights in the 1970s, and also because the food is great and it really is a famous restaurant. But for me, the memories are the most important factor.

I made one final stop, at the old Pueblo Church across from Olvera Street, the oldest church in Los Angeles. It's been there since 1812, and though it has been refurbished probably several times, you can still feel The Presence of all those years inside, and of The Holy Spirit. You will see old ladies deep in meditation and prayer any time you go, and it's just the kind of place where you will Feel It Deeply. I am sure you know what I mean.

Union Station is right across Alameda Street from Olvera, so it was just a short walk back there, and then down an escalator or two to the Red Line subway platform. By 4:45pm, we were headed back to North Hollywood, and I was home by 6pm.

All told, it was an incredible day in DTLA, especially because of "Elemental". There's also something about all the old buildings from the late 1800s, and the way the sun shines in different places. I always make a point of looking for the Gargoyles on the facades. They have been standing guard all this time.

It's quite a place, with quite a lot to see. I should go down there more often; would you go with me?

This eve, I watched one of the classic Noirs I got at the Central Libe : "The Burglar" starring the always reliable Dan Duryea and Jayne Mansfield in her first role. I have written too much to fully describe it to you, but it was an involving psychological crime drama that gets Two Big Thumbs Up.

It was as Noir as they come, perfect after a day in the City. ////

See you in the morning.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment