Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Michael Harvey's "Pulse" + Tremblay & Steven King + Cremo and The Truth About The Human Spirit

No movie tonight, but I thought I'd try to write anyway. I just now finished reading Michael Harvey's "Pulse", a crime novel with a quantum twist, as in quantum mechanics. Harvey was another author recommended by Stephen King. I was so impressed with the books of Paul Tremblay, an earlier King recommendation, that I reserved "Pulse" by Harvey without giving it a second thought.

I'm not a big reader of fiction (except for SK), but every now and then I find a writer I like. Tremblay was the discovery of the year, and probably the decade. I read all three of his modern horror novels in rapid succession and could not put any of them down, just kept turning the pages, I was very impressed by his ability to make his stories come alive, and also by his originality. Paul Tremblay is The Man as far as new horror writers go. Stephen King didn't steer us wrong.

Michael Harvey is really good as well. He is definitely a "page turner" kind of writer, who knows how to keep you jumping along with his plot twists. As the fiction books I do read are normally from the horror genre (and very few at that), it is even rarer for me to read a crime novel, but "Pulse" was so good that I just ordered from the Libe Harvey's "Brighton", which Stephen King also raved about.

King fans know that SK grew up on John D. McDonald's hard-boiled detective novels. McDonald was one of his favorite writers as a youth, and I think he has tried to emulate him somewhat with his own stab at the crime genre, with his "Mr. Mercedes" trilogy. I enjoyed those King books, which were very popular and have been made into a TV series, but I prefer his horror.

My own recommendation would be to get ahold of the Tremblay books as fast as you can, and start pounding them, but only if you are not squeamish. And as for Michael Harvey, give him a chance also. His writing can be a bit mystical and flowery, he is a Boston Irishman after all - and his stories are set in Beantown - but he too has an original twist to his plots. I was enjoying "Pulse" very much, but near the end my appreciation went from respectful to "he knocked it out of the park". This is because he is able to understand the supernatural aspects of thought, and how thought and perception interact on a quantum level where time and memory are stationed.

This is why Harvey's writing can be a bit vague and soaked in Irish Mist, because he is tuned in to the Spirit World. In "Pulse" he tries to interpret his main character's mind reading ability from a police detective's point of view, but the inner life of the protagonist predominates. We see what he sees as he searches the inner spaces of other people's consciousness to try and solve his brother's murder.

So there are a couple of writers for you, Paul Tremblay and Michael Harvey.

I also recently finished Michael Cremo's "Human Devolution". Cremo, you may recall from my writings earlier in 2018, also wrote the megawork "Forbidden Archaeology", a book that I feel should be in every classroom in America. "Human Devolution" continues Cremo's mission to explore and explain human history and to pose the question of what is a human being in the first place?

This got my attention toward Cremo, because I have wondered the same thing for a very long time.

"What is a Human Being"?

As he points out, the majority of scientists say that we are only elements of matter and that we arose by chance from a chemical soup, beginning with an evolution from a one celled amoeba.

Any thinking person knows in their heart that such a postulation is a joke, and in "Forbidden Archaeology" Cremo went a long way toward proving his case against Darwinism, an outdated fad from the 19th century. I mean, c'mon folks. Please do some reading. Darwin has long since been proven wrong, and more importantly, there is the Human Spirit to consider, not to mention the Human Soul.

We are not simply made of matter, and come into existence by chance. If that is all science has to offer as an explanation for human existence, then science is a joke in that regard (though science is undoubtedly valuable in other ways). But science should stay out of the "why are we here" debate, because scientists do not believe in anything they cannot see or measure.

Scientists ignore what they certainly must feel inside, as far as what Human Beings are. We all know we are really Spirits living in Human Bodies, and we know this not because we can observe it, but because we can feel it every moment of our waking lives.

We can feel it, and so we do not need to observe it, because we know the Human Spirit is real.

This is what Michael Cremo's "Human Devolution" is all about. He presents all kinds of supernatural evidence for the existence of the human spirit and it's connection to the Holy Spirit, including testimony of materialisations at sceances, to the healings at Lourdes, to all kinds of miracles in between. Cremo is a practicing Hindu. I am not, but I respect his beliefs and agree with many of them.

Most of all I use my own intelligence to make sense of the available information on Human Life and the existence of consciousness, and I separate this knowledge from that of science and scientists, who are incredible at measuring and explaining the physical world but who are lost and in over their heads when trying to explain human origins, or when trying to interpret God's world, which is not something fanciful but rather something that we all intuit very strongly inside.

See you in the morning.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment