Monday, May 13, 2019

"High Chaparral" & especially "Ghost Story" + Aliso + Singing

No movie tonight, instead it was All TV. I watched an episode of "High Chaparral" - a motion picture quality Western series that is rapidly becoming a favorite of mine - followed by a very scary episode of "Ghost Story", in which Lynn Loring inherits a dilapidated mansion from her mother, who has just died in a mental institution. I mean, right there you've got you some horror. You've got a mansion, it's run down, it's paint is peeling, it's got cobwebs inside and even a few rats running around. And you've got the mother in a mental institution.

It was entirely a coincidence that I happened to watch this episode on Mother's Day.  :)

But yeah, I mean, who wouldn't want to inherit a Grey Gardens type house from their psychic and slightly kooky mother? Former real life 60's starlet turned studio executive Loring arrives at the house to find it condemned. Signs put up by the city indicate that it will be demolished if the necessary repairs are not completed by an upcoming deadline. Loring ventures inside the mansion to meet with her two eccentric cousins, played by Rip Torn and Geraldine Page. Now I ask you, where are you gonna get that caliber of acting talent on television, if not on "Ghost Story"? Torn and Page (Torn Page!) are a couple of kookoo bird siblings who dodder about the dusty premises and drink an elixir to help them sleep at night. They seem to have a secret, concerning Page's ex-husband, who is buried in the back yard along with his loyal butler. Lynn Loring, meanwhile, is having night terrors involving The House, The Ex-Husband and The Butler. She sleepwalks at night, and can see the deceased husband and butler engaging in a game of billiards. Then suddenly........

Ahh, but I'm not going to tell you about "then suddenly" because it's way too spooky and creepy. Loring is starting to freak out about her dreams, so Rip Torn suggests she drink more sleep elixir at night, but it ain't working. Finally, the Health Department comes calling about the deadline for the house repairs. The agent has brought the Sheriff with him, so Torn and Page lock Loring in the basement to prevent her from telling the men what she has seen.

The Basement.

Now, you know nothing good can come of being locked in The Basement.......or can it?

I won't tell you, but I will say that I am always astonished when anyone in a horror movie or tv show descends into The Basement voluntarily.

I mean, c'mon. Nobody would do that in real life, right? You and I would never go down into The Basement, for any reason, ever. But man, these people in horror shows, what are they thinking? I just can't figure 'em.......

But that's all I am gonna tell you about tonight's episode of "Ghost Story". I highly recommend that you purchase the complete series dvd set for yourself and that goes double for "High Chaparral" if you are a Western fan. ////

This afternoon, I actually made it up to Aliso Canyon for a nice hike. It's almost impossible now, for me to get a hike in on a workday, but I made it, and it was like magic, with wildflowers overgrown around the trails and the Painted Lady butterflies that have hatched by the millions this Spring fluttering everywhere, even in your face as you walk. I have been to Aliso so many times during conditions of dryness and drought, and of course it is beautiful then too. But I've never seen it like this. Today the park looked like something out of Tom Sawyer or Huck Finn, overtaken by nature.

Lastly, we had good singin' in church, just like I promised. Our lead soprano was not there, so me and our other tenor got a chance to share lead singing duties. It was fun and we got to really belt it out.

I hope you had a nice day (and Happy Mother's Day too). See you in the morning, with all night love sent between.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment