Monday, January 27, 2020

The World Turns and We Keep Going

I'd just gotten back from church when I heard the news about Kobe Bryant. It took a few seconds to register because it didn't make sense. He was just in the news last night, after LeBron passed him on the all-time scoring list. Kobe even tweeted LeBron to congratulate him. Then about twelve hours later he was gone, along with his daughter and the other unfortunate people on board. I've been a Lakers fan since I was a kid, and I followed Kobe's career, but nothing I can say would be different from the thousands of tributes that have already poured in, so I will stop here, except to mention that like everyone else, I just feel numb. This year has begun with two shocking deaths, and I've personally also been dealing with the recent health crisis of Pearl, which has been very challenging for me as her caregiver. Let us pray that 2020 improves from this point on.

On a positive note, I am happy to report that Pearl had her best day yet since leaving the hospital. Today she ate all her food and consumed over 1200 calories, the most she's eaten since Christmas. She used her walker again for an extended trip down the hallway, and by this evening, while we were watching the Grammys she looked pretty much like her old self. Not bad for a 95 year old lady who was written off by the hospital doctor six days ago. Screw that guy. I was right all along, and that's because I know Pearl. I've been with her almost every day for ten years. The only days I've missed have been my days off (which are few), and in ten years of caring for her I've never missed a single working day. So yeah - screw you, Doctor Death. You don't know squat. You were wrong and I was right, and a nice lady could have died had we listened to your "advice".

Sorry, but I despise these MF-ers, and again, I mean only the "death panelers"(with whom I've had prior experience involving my parents) and not the wonderful nurses and other helpful hospital personnel, such as the extraordinary team in the ER, who do everything they can to save lives. 

Well at any rate, end of tirade. This afternoon I was able to get up to Aliso for a hike, and guess who I saw? The Aliso Coyote! Yep, I ran into him about halfway up the trail, near his Usual Spot, as seen in my FB cover photo that I took last August. The Saddleridge fire devastated Aliso Canyon in October, and the coyote must've bailed out for a time, but now that the foliage is growing back he's returned and was skulking about his old stomping ground.

I also had a chance to watch another Velez/Errol extravaganza : "Mexican Spitfire's Blessed Event". Very soon I hope to return to my traditional full bodied movie reviews, but for now I hope it will suffice that I urge you - yet again - to discover this collection for yourself. Lord Epping himself commands you! Listen - this is me talking now. I'm not the world's biggest comedy fan because it takes something special to make me laugh. "Stupid" won't do it; "crude" won't do it and "profane" won't do it.

You've gotta actually Be Funny. To do that, you need to study the Masters, and as I've recently had the pleasure to discover, Lupe Velez and Leon Errol are included in that category. As it pertains to the "Mexican Spitfire" films, we should also include Elizabeth Risdon and Lydia Bilbrook, who played supporting roles in each movie. So far, Lupe, Leon and the gang have been my solace and have given me escape and great joy in what has been my toughest month in a long time. God Bless the entertainers, the actors, actresses, musicians, comedians and writers, the artists who take us away from the grim face of the world and replace it with something beautiful.

On that note, Happy Birthday to the great Edward Van Halen, who turns 65 today. I can't begin to express what EVH has meant to me except to say that, for myself and all of his fans, he's family. He's been enriching my life for 43 years, and if you have a favorite artist (and I'm sure you do), take a moment to think what their art has done for you, what it has meant to you. Then take another moment to send a good feeling back to that artist.

The work of the artists is huge in our lives, whatever the format, including athletes.

I don't know much, except that I believe in peace and love like The Beatles said. I also believe in Jesus Christ, so no matter what the world throws at me I know I will make it. Thank You, Lord. /////

See you in the morning. Tons of love. xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment