Saturday, January 25, 2020

Things Are Hopeful, Things Are Hard

I've had a chance to watch a couple of movies over the past two nights. The first was "Conquest"(1937), an epic historical romance starring Greta Garbo and Charles Boyer (pronounced Boy-YAY). Garbo plays Marie Walewska, a young Polish Countess who had a long standing romance with Napoleon Bonaparte. Boyer is superb as The French Emperor and so dominates the screen that he outshines even the Great Garbo. I don't know how historically accurate the film is, but like "Marie Antoinette", seen late last year, it once again reminds you why MGM was the greatest movie studio of the Golden Era. The sets are incredible, like real palace interiors. Garbo is framed in gauzy portrait lighting, in close ups that epitomize the type of Hollywood Glamour photography that made her perhaps the top icon among actresses of the 1930s. But it's Boyer's film. He embodies Napoleon and was nominated for an Oscar for his role.

The second movie I saw was "Mexican Spitfire's Elephant"(1942), starring the wonderful comedy team of Lupe Velez and Leon Errol. You've heard me raving about them for several weeks now. Do yourself a favor and check out the entire "Mexican Spitfire" series, eight films in all. "Elephant" is my fifth one and I'll be working my way through the other three as time permits.

Sorry for the thumbnail reviews, but my new schedule has left me very, very tired, just exhausted really. 2020 came in with a bang, beginning with the episodes of dementia related psychosis that Pearl went through beginning around New Year's Day. As you know, she was ultimately hospitalised, which was an incredibly stressful time for everyone involved because we didn't know if she was gonna make it. She's been back home for three days now and is improving, eating every meal and even using her walker for a few steps today, so it appears the immediate danger is over, but someone has to be with her all the time now, and I am trading off at the moment with her daughter, who's been staying at the house for over a week. I am writing to you from home, and am off at night for the time being, but we've had to learn a crash course in making pureed food for Pearl, making sure she wears her oxygen line, feeding her carefully due to her swallowing difficulty and a whole host of other home care related procedures.

And then on top of everything, it's been hard for me to get any rest or any peace and quiet, because of these horrible neighbors of mine who have a non-stop party going on in their unit, with Indian disco music blaring at all times of day. I'll tell ya, as soon as I get a chance, I'm gonna move so far away from this building that you'll have to send out a search party to find me. Northridge has gone to hell because of CSUN packing 42,000 students onto a campus designed for half that, and I don't wanna live here anymore. Yep, I wouldn't mind moving to the desert, or even out of state if I knew anyone outside California. I just can't stand living amidst this Chaos Culture anymore, with amped-up young people tailgating me everywhere and these nutjobs in the apartment next door. I'll stop bitching now, but this has been an extremely difficult month, and for now I no longer have the respite of being at Pearl's during the night. The Hell of my apartment building will be the end of me if I don't get out soon.

We have been following the impeachment trial, and I must say that Adam Schiff did a masterful job as lead prosecutor. I think his lengthy presentations will go down with the great oratories in American history. Trump may escape conviction here, due to the cult he has created in the GOP, but he's gonna go down eventually, because the evidence against him is overwhelming. Besides that, he's just a lowlife who has given us ample evidence on a daily basis of his racism, his misogyny, his crudity, his inability to tell the truth and his narcissism. He's a sociopath, and when he goes down, he's gonna go down hard. Bank on it. The Southern District of New York is just waiting for the moment when he's no longer president, and then they will indict him for one or more of his numerous crimes,  and he will go to prison where he belongs, hopefully for the rest of his life. Trump has been the ultimate symptom thus far of Chaos Culture. Let's hope that by removing him in the next election, this country can begin to step back from it's own narcissistic tendencies to start to rebuild the stature we once had as the world's leader.

Sorry about the downer of a blog. It's just that everything hit at once. If Pearl continues to improve, I am hoping things will go back to relative normal. I can deal with the multitude of home health workers that will be coming over to the house, as long as I can stay there and live in peace as I was used to doing for the past five years. You see, I haven't really been living in my apartment since November 2014. That's when I began staying overnight at Pearl's, and I only came home for an hour in the afternoon every day, and then again in the evening to watch my nightly movie and take my walk. But I basically didn't live here; my apartment was just my clubhouse for all that time. Prior to that, it was a nightmare just like it is now. This is a party building for college students and I don't belong here.

Please Lord, help me get out. /////

No comments:

Post a Comment