Saturday, April 6, 2024

Fifty Years of Concerts

Before we begin, a quick notice: If you're a horror fan, go see "The First Omen". It's big league stuff that earns it's place in the franchise. In fact, it's one of the best horror movies in years. Don't miss it.

Well, today was the 50th anniversary of the California Jam, my first concert, and still the best. I've been to many great ones, but it's impossible to top Emerson Lake and Palmer, Deep Purple and Black Sabbath all on the same bill, all at the height of their powers and all touring in support of (in my opinion) their best albums, "Brain Salad Surgery", "Burn" and "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" respectively. Throw in Black Oak Arkansas and Seals and Crofts and it was one heck of a day of music. I've written about it a million times, in fuller detail than I feel like delving into at the moment, but I will always remember (among other things) making my way back to the Greyhound station when the concert was over, only to discover I'd missed the last bus home. I was just shy of 14 and stranded.

The bus schedule was the last thing on my mind while ELP was playing. Keith's spinning piano? The quadrophonic sound? Carl's amazing drum solo in the middle of "Tocatta"? No, I wasn't thinking much about the Greyhound. When the concert ended, I had no idea where to go. I followed the crowd out of the Ontario Motor Speedway's concourse, actually hopping over the retaining wall and crossing the racetrack itself. That was pretty cool. But once outside the confines of the sprawling Speedway property, I had no sense of direction, the night was pitch black and there were no landmarks because it was not a developed area. I think I asked someone if he knew where the bus station was, and he pointed across a field: "See those lights in the distance? That's the Ontario Airport. The bus station's there." I walked across that field for what seemed like a mile. Finally I reached the lights and found the Greyhound terminal. That's when I discovered I'd missed the last bus. A clock read 11:30. I saw longhaired people sleeping on the floor, or half asleep, and I saw shirtless guys with Marine haircuts. Many of the hippies and Marines looked stoned or drunk and I was scared. They were all older than me. I was just a scrawny kid.

Luckily, I had some change, and put the needed coins into a pay phone, however much it took to call Northridge from Ontario. My Mom answered (thank goodness). I explained my predicament and asked her not to tell my Dad, who - fortunately - was asleep. On the one hand, I was worried he'd get mad at me if he found out I missed the bus, but on the other (scarier) hand, I was more afraid of the drunken Marines and stoned-out hippies. I was worried about getting beaten up and told Mom so. "I'm here all by myself, Mom."

Mom had an idea, and asked if I had enough change to call her back. I did. She told me to wait fifteen minutes, and in the interim, she had phoned our next door neighbor, Sandy S. Mom explained the situation, and Sandy volunteered to drive the 60 miles to Ontario to pick me up. God bless you, Sandy! Mom rode with him; they didn't chew me out or get upset. They just asked how the concert was, and I told them. In an aside, Sandy (a teacher at Granada Hills High) lived in the same house I would later be held captive in, in September 1989. But screw that for now 'cause it ain't rock n' roll, and Jared Rappaport ain't no Sandy S. Mom and Sandy saved my hide after the California Jam. They drove all that way to pick me up (I love you, Mom!), and my Dad remained asleep the whole time. The next morning, he asked me how the concert was and I said "fine." He never found out about the missed Greyhound.

The next morning was a Sunday. I had a paper route, and I've always remembered wrapping my Sunday papers and being 90% deaf. The California Jam was loud (I think at the time it was one of the biggest PA systems ever assembled) and I was not only mostly deaf, but what little I could hear, sounded like 78 rpm. Voices sounded like Mickey or Minnie Mouse. Everything was high-pitched. It took a couple days to get my ears back. But man oh man...it was worth it. What a show. The bands remember it fondly also. I think Jon Lord, or maybe Glenn Hughes, considered it the best show Deep Purple ever played. And of course, Ritchie had to high-tail it out of Ontario by helicopter after DP's set ended. The San Bernardino Sheriff was after him for setting the stage on fire. He was almost 29 then. Next week he'll be 79. Wow.

I estimate I've been to apprx. 800 concerts since then, including club shows.

A few legendary ones deserve mention:

Rush in Las Vegas, June 15, 1981

Van Halen at The Forum, June 20, 1981

Pink Floyd at the Rose Bowl, April 17, 1994

Judas Priest at Long Beach, June 13, 1980

Ozzy Osbourne at the Sports Arena, December 31, 1981 (Randy Rhoads died 2 1/2 months later)

Rush at The Forum, August 1, 2015 (their final show)

Van Halen at the Hollywood Bowl, October 3, 2015 (their next-to-last show)

There are many others but I'd have to give it some thought...

On August 28, 1966, I went to The Beatles second-to-last concert but (ahem)...only made it as far as the Dodger Stadium parking lot. My Dad drove my sisters. They were the ones who went. But I got to ride along.

And I saw Paul McCartney at Dodger Stadium in 2019.

Some of the bands and artists I've seen, in no particular order: Camel, Captain Beefheart, The Tubes, Todd Rundgren, Golden Earring, ELO, Seventh Wave, The Runaways, King Crimson, Alice Cooper, King's X, Eric Johnson, UFO, Thin Lizzy, Sparks, Roxy Music, Rick Wakeman, Rainbow, Blackmore's Night, Scorpions, Uli Jon Roth, Kraftwerk, Celtic Frost, Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Steven Wilson, Alcest, The Moody Blues, Yngwie Malmsteen, Triptykon, Be Bop Deluxe, The Bay City Rollers, Steve Howe (solo), Cheap Trick, Motorhead, Motley Crue, Iron Maiden, ARW (Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman), Bryan Ferry, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Gram Rabbit, Hilary Hahn, David Gilmour, UK, Mike Oldfield, PFM, Spirit, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Peter Frampton, KISS, Blue Oyster Cult, The Who (Daltrey and Townshend version), The Rolling Stones, AC/DC, Patti Smith, Dick Dale, The Ramones, Rick Derringer, Robin Trower, Ted Nugent, Tommy Bolin...(I'd have to go through a comprehensive list of rock bands to name them all, including opening acts).

The bands and artists I've seen the most times: Rush (32), Hilary Hahn (23), Van Halen (18). After that, probably Eric Johnson and King's X. I've lost count.

Interestingly, I've seen Ritchie in his various incarnations (Deep Purple, Rainbow and Blackmore's Night) about 14 times, but only twice since 1987 and not at all since 2005. He doesn't come to the west coast anymore. Thank goodness I saw him as many times as I did.

Bands I've never seen (but wish I did): Gentle Giant, Caravan, Van Der Graaf Generator, Frank Zappa, David Bowie, Egg, National Health, Steve Hillage, Uriah Heep, Wishbone Ash, Mott the Hoople...

My goodness. Well, here's to rock n' roll. Check back in 50 years for an updated concert list.  :)   

No comments:

Post a Comment