Thursday, August 9, 2018

"As You Like It" starring Laurence Olivier and Elisabeth Bergner + Hey SB!

The Movie Parade continues.....tonight I watched "As You Like It" (1936), the Shakespearean comedy adapted for the screen, starring a young Laurence Olivier as "Orlando" and an actress named Elisabeth Bergner as "Rosalind", the object of his desire. I had not heard of Bergner, who I see upon Googling was primarily a stage actress, but she steals the show as the playful Rosalind, who runs off into the forest with her best friend and cousin Celia when she is banished by the Duke who usurped his title from his brother. Celia is the current Duke's daughter. To really understand the complex relationships of the plot, it would be best for you to read a synopsis or see the movie yourself (or the play, or read the play).

I was lucky because I saw "As You Like It" twice last Summer, as performed by Shakespeare By The Sea, so I was familiar with the tale and the dialogue. As you may have guessed, I watched the movie tonight, after ordering it from the Libe a few days ago, because I wanted to continue my Shakespeare Kick. This year I only got to see a single SBTS performance (usually there are two local shows), so I was jonesing for more Shakespeare in the Summer. Kinda like how I need Dickens at Christmastime.

The play and the plot are about power and sibling rivalry, and how men and women react differently to conflict. Being that it's Shakespeare, love is naturally the overarching concern, and not just love but the engineering of love because sometimes it needs a little engineering for two people to get together.

Women are the experts in this bit of romantic science, and while Rosalind has to disguise herself as a boy to elude the Duke's men, she finds that her disguise comes in very handy when she runs into Orlando in the forest. He has shown interest in her, but is it genuine? She befriends him as the boy "Ganymede" to find out. In conversation, they talk about Rosalind, and there you have it.

Or, there you have it As You Like It. (now that was pretty cool)

Again, because this is classic Shakespeare in one of his most famous and best plays, it would help if you Googled the synopsis.

I loved Elisabeth Bergner's performance, and you would too, but I had a little trouble with her Ukrainian accent. I was fortunate to have seen the SBTS version to prepare me, but even so, any fan of Bill S. would love this movie. The sets alone are sumptuous, the palace of the Duke, the cozy and crittered forest. The costumes look straight out of Elizabethan England. Olivier is of course great, he being one of the All Time Shakepeareans, but he is definitely second banana in this one to Ms. Bergner.

Two Big Thumbs Up from me. See it as I did, to continue your Shakespeare Fix. ////

Since we are on the topic of Elizabethans, I must say to one Elizabeth in particular - aka The SB - that I liked the clip you posted on FB Stories this afternoon. Man, that is some gigantic field of flowers! You didn't indicate the location, so I will guess that it is somewhere between Wisconsin and Chicago, but it sure is beautiful, especially with the puffy white clouds in the sky.

I am glad you posted, Elizabeth, cause I hadn't seen you on FB for several days. I hope you are enjoying your Summer, and it won't be long now before I go Downtown to see "Elemental" for myself on the Big Screen. I will go Downtown on one of my upcoming days off, between August 16 and 20.

I'm looking forward to it!

Keep enjoying Summer and post more pics if you feel like it.

See you in the morning.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment