Friday, August 24, 2018

The Boogeyman

No movie tonight. Instead I watched an episode of "Kolchak" that was about a guy who is part of a dream deprivation experiment at a science lab at Northwestern University. They've got the guy in a state of sleep, for six weeks!, but they keep him in the delta state and won't allow his brain to reach REM. He is hooked up to monitors by electrodes on his head and the doctors study him 24/7.

But then, a young lab assistant is killed one night. Police have only a flimsy suspect, who is released. A hippie is killed next, in an old shed beneath an apartment building where he went to smoke pot. Police have no idea who did it, but they later find a strange connection. The hippie was an acquaintance of the guy in the sleep study. That makes two recent murder victims who have ties to the sleeping man.

The Chicago police initially chalk it up to coincidence. How could the sleep guy have anything to do with the murders? He's asleep, for God's sake! But Kolchak is always a step ahead of the cops because he has had much experience with the supernatural. After three more deaths that all have a connection to the experiment, Kolchak tracks down a Cajun musician who is a friend of the sleeper. At all the murder sites, each victim was covered in a slimy green plant material. Kolchak had done some old school Googling, by interviewing a botanist, and he found out against the police' wishes that the slimy green stuff was Spanish Moss. The cops hate it when Kolchak goes supernatural on them because, hey - they don't believe in all that stuff. But Kolchak always does his homework, and when he talks to the Cajun musician, who is from Louisiana, he asks about the Spanish Moss........and at first the Cajun doesn't wanna talk about it. But then Kolchak pays him off, and he tells the old Bayou story of the Pere Malfait.

The Boogeyman.

I don't know about you, but maybe the very first guy I was ever scared of was The Boogeyman. This was when I was about four years old, maybe three and a half. I had heard that The Boogeyman hid in kid's closets, or under their beds. I remember asking my parents about that, and asking also if I could have a nightlight in my room, and could they leave my door ajar after tucking me in?

That's how bad The Boogeyman scared me when I was just becoming a Little Person.

It didn't last long, though. I don't recall how my fear ended, but I guess it was because The Boogeyman never did anything about it. He never came out of the closet; he never came out from under the bed.

Sorry, Mr. Boogeyman, but this ain't workin' for me. I'm not skeert no more.

So that was the end of that, and I went on to read and love every Stephen King book and all kinds of other horrible stuff.

It took a long time, but I think tonight that The Boogeyman was finally getting back at me and trying to re-establish himself. "C'mon, Ad....don't you remember me? I was hiding under your bed in 1963. Yeah, I was really under there! I know you don't believe in me anymore, but I did a show in 1974 called "Kolchak The Night Stalker", and it went over big! This time they were looking for me in the sewer, which may be a step or two beneath the bed, but it's been hard to maintain my status because kids don't believe in me anymore".

I felt a twinge of sadness for The Boogeyman when he told me that, and I offered to be his PR man when time permits.

Unfortunately, he didn't feel comfortable in that relationship, and I haven't heard from him since.

If you see The Boogeyman, or know anyone who knows him, tell them to give him my number, won't you?  Thanks. ////

Elizabeth, it looks like there is gonna be a fair amount of water to drain at Pheasant Branch. The ground will be saturated and it will take a week or so for the water to sink in, but the main thing is if the trails are mostly intact. Our trails at Santa Susana survived the big rainstorms of 2017, with a bit of erosion. I think that if you guys don't get pounded by a lot of rain this fall, and if Pheasant Branch has the budget to fix the existing damage, it will be good as new before long. That's only my assessment from afar, knowing nothing about your situation except in comparison to our own weather damaged parks from the past two years. I think that landscapers can fix just about anything.

See you in the morning.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment