Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Happy New Year + January 2nd + Rose Parade + "13 Demon Street" + It's Freezing

Happy New Year once again. I hope you had a nice New Year's Day, and since it is after Midnight as I write, that means it's actually January 2nd, which means that it's time for my annual observation:

"Can you believe it's January 2nd already? Man........(you can fill in the blanks)".

Or, on the off-but-nearly-impossible chance you've never heard my little joke before, I shall repeat it in full. We'll consider it a New Year's tradition.

"Can you believe it's January 2nd already? Man, the year is just flying by".

Now is that the funniest thing you've ever heard or what? I can hear your laughter through my computer speakers. By tomorrow night at 11:59 and 59 seconds, the joke will be back under mothballs for 365 days, so repeat it all you can until then, for maximum yucks. :)

Didn't do much today but watch the Rose Parade, which was on repeat all afternoon on KTLA Channel 5. Pearl loves to watch it, so I left it on until 4:30, when I had to watch at least some of the Rose Bowl. Washington made a game out of it in the fourth quarter but had too big a hole to crawl out of, so Ohio State, one of college football's legendary teams, hung on to win.

No movie tonight, but I did watch the final episode of "Kolchak" from my complete series dvd set that I bought around Fall 2017. There were 20 episodes in this excellent but short lived series, which was an inspiration for "The X-Files", and every episode was a classic. Long live Darren McGavin, a great actor who had a varied career, but who was Carl Kolchak, the character he became most known for. I also watched two short episodes of a very demented and even shorter lived series from 1959 called "13 Demon Street". It was a horror anthology series hosted by Lon Chaney Jr. who, in his introductions, portrayed a criminal so evil that he was said to have committed the worst sins in human history, and so was condemned to live in a dungeon below "13 Demon Street" until he could find a criminal worse than he. If he could do that, Satan would release him. So in the two episodes I saw, which were included as bonus material in my Boris Karloff "The Veil" complete series dvd set, Lon Chaney Jr. began each episode in the dungeon, looking particularly debased, and attempting to persuade the audience that the story they are about to see was perpetrated by a Man More Evil, and thus he Lon Chaney Jr. should finally be freed.

There were just two episodes of "13 Demon Street" included on my "Veil" set, and from what I see on IMDB, only 13 episodes were made (how fitting, right?) But the whole production is downright weird. It seems to have been made for Swedish TV, of all places, and the actors are mostly American but with one or two Swedes, speaking English, per episode. Lon Chaney looks like he didn't need any makeup to play his role of the guy in the dungeon, and beyond all of that, the two shows I saw were just plain weird and super creepy. Both episodes starred the same girl, an actress named Pat Clavin, whose IMDB bio reveals little because her career must have come and gone.

But it is the Swedish stiffness combined with conventional American acting that makes this truly unusual series so weird. I mean, who the hell ever heard of a Swedish/American TV show, and a horror show at that, that starred Lon Chaney Jr. as the World's Worst Person living in a dungeon below a house owned by The Devil.....I mean, surely you jest though I know that you don't. 

I'd like to see the full thirteen episodes but I don't think they are available, so two will have to suffice.

You might be able to Youtube them, but if you want them in better quality you'll have to order "The Veil" complete series starring our old buddy Boris Karloff, no stranger to creepiness himself.

Me, I am tired from last night's revelry and today's early rise, but more than that it is absolutely fruhHeezing tonight. Felt like low 40s, no fun. I did my full walk but only because I am programmed to do so. Supposed to go down to 34 tomorrow night. 

Midwesterners say "surely you jest". I say "L.A. Cold".

See you in the morning.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment