Monday, July 1, 2019

Odds & Ends : "Tales Of Tomorrow", Hellhammer Is The Heaviest Metal, Harris Is Disingenuous Re: School Bussing

No movie tonight, though I did watch an epic "Tales Of Tomorrow" episode in which a rocket is launched into Outer Space by the military and then returns to Earth days later than scheduled, carrying  strange cargo - a large rectangular block of ice. In fact, that's the title of the episode : "Ice From Space". This ice is some mighty chilly stuff. By the end of the day, the Major in charge of the rocket mission is wearing a full length parka inside the quonset hut where the ice is kept. A local Congressman is on base, too, harassing the Major about the expenditure of the rocket program. He's a pain-in-the-neck politician, so the Major quarantines him when the temperature continues to drop in an ever enlarging radius around the base. Before too long, 200 square miles are frozen solid like Antarctica.

It is becoming clear that this is one cold-ass block of ice, and to make matters worse, it seems to be alive, almost as if it were lit from within by a propmaster with a supply of colored lights.

What to do, what to do?........

While the Major and his heavily accented Head Scientist are trying to figure things out, into the hut runs Paul Newman. This is only his second onscreen role ever, and his first that reached a wide audience. It is essentially his debut performance, and he scores points for instant hamminess. An IMDB reviewer pointed out the amusement value in watching a 26 year old Newman method act his way through a scene in front of the deadly ice. This is one of the drawing cards of the "Tales Of Tomorrow" dvd collection, that you get to see many now-famous actors in very early roles that were performed live, in the then new medium of television. It's also kind of amazing to watch a show that was produced almost 70 years ago.

Grimsley came over this eve, hence the lack of a motion picture, but he did get to hear part of the Hellhammer "Demon Entrails" demo tape compilation that I've been touting for the past two weeks. We listened to it in his car with the volume cranked up, something I am unable to do in The Tiny Apartment, and I must say that Grim was righteously blown away. I was too - though I've been playing the two cds repeatedly, I've been listening on headphones, and at a volume much lower than on Grim's car stereo. So I think I got a better representation of what the music was intended to sound like, and my original opinion has been reinforced : it's the Heaviest Metal I've ever heard in my life, including Celtic Frost and Triptykon. That doesn't mean it's the best or most artful, though it has merit in that regard too.

But for sheer metallic ferocity, I have never heard anything to match it. If you are a curious metal fan and can deal with subpar sound (not horrible) and with musicians who are only beginning to learn their craft but are very competent, you should check this out. Also, as I have reported, Tom G. has a new side project called Triumph Of Death, named after a Hellhammer song, that is currently touring and playing exclusively the music of Hellhammer. There are clips available on Youtube that you should check out, just to see what I am talking about, even though as great as these clips are, even they cannot quite equal the sonic insanity of the original tapes made in 1983. But watch the new live clips anyway because they are a close approximation!

It's funny, because I am not generally a Metalhead, though many people still think of me that way. I have only ever liked a handful of metal bands, but the ones I have liked have always been the heaviest.

And also the best songwriters. And believe it or not, the songwriting capability holds true for young Tom G. when he was composing for Hellhammer at only 19 years of age. I mean, the music is just relentlessly brutal, but in spite of that it's also............catchy. Tom knows how to write a hook.

And if that don't sell ya, nothing will. Listen to Hellhammer and be hooked forever (or be freaked out like Grimsley was).  :):)  ////

That's basically all I know for tonight. Whattaya think of the Democratic candidates after the first couple of debates? I know everybody liked Sen. Harris' takedown of Joe Biden over the issue of "bussing" in the late 1960s. I thought it was a little strident on her part, and grandstanding as well.

She spoke about being one of the kids who was bussed to school.

Well, I was there too. I was a white kid at Prairie Street School in Northridge in 1969. You couldn't have found a more liberal school in the country, trust me. But what I remember very distinctly about the bussing issue, is that once the bussing got started and the inner city black kids were being sent, by court order, to the schools of the more affluent and privileged white kids in the San Fernando Valley, it was the liberals themselves who questioned the policy. Yes indeedy.

They were the ones who said it was unfair to force the inner city kids to ride busses all the way to the Valley, and be forced to attend school in an unfamiliar environment of privileged white kids.

In reality, the bussing experiment was unsuccessful - Senator Harris' experience notwithstanding (because she was no doubt very bright and was able to adapt whereas most black impoverished and undereducated kids at the time were not able to do so), and ultimately the program was cancelled and the black kids were allowed to go to school in their own neighborhoods, at their own LAUSD schools.

Hey, would you wanna be bussed to an unfamiliar neighborhood with kids from a culture you knew nothing about, when you were nine years old?

I saw how hard the handful of black kids struggled at Prairie Street in 1969. They didn't struggle to fit in, but just to try to adjust to even being there. That was how bad the cultural divisions were at the time. South Central L.A. might as well have been another planet. So to try and force those kids to attend whites schools in the Valley, just to make some liberals feel better about themselves, was a bad idea.

That's why Joe Biden voted against bussing, my friends, because it was a terrible idea to force those kids to go to school in that unfamiliar environment.

And so Kamala Harris, who knows better, just dropped a lot of notches in my book, by attacking Biden, who is not my choice for the nomination by the way. But now neither is Harris, who jumped on him using her prosecutorial skills in a phoney-baloney attack over the issue of what was called "forced bussing" in 1969.

Yep, the liberals fifty years ago were against it because it was being forced on those kids.

I was there, so I know. And Senator Harris' blatantly false use of the issue to grandstand her way into contention on the debate platform just cost her my vote. She is 100% phony baloney, you can trust me.

Right now I like a team of Elizabeth Warren and Julio Castro. Or Warren and Mayor Pete.

Who do you think can beat Trump? /////

That's all for tonight, see you in the morning.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment