Sunday, March 15, 2020

Elizabeth + Coronavirus Diary + another "Tale Of Tomorrow" (Red Dust)

Elizabeth, I have been enjoying your "coronavirus related" posts, haha. I'm glad you were able to go on a nice social distancing hike with your friends, and now that I think of it, I've been practicing for the virus for a long time, because on most of my hikes I'm the only one on the trail. :) I liked your drawing, too, of your brother and his wife. How long does it take you to do a pencil sketch like that? You are good at likenesses and shading, things I am not so good at. Because I don't have natural drawing talent, I try to go for an overall "look" of whatever scene I am trying to depict. I start with whatever is going to be the main object in the picture, and I very lightly frame it in short pencil strokes. I find I am able to get the best representation when I simultaneously visualise in my head what I want to put down, while I am actually drawing it. But I have no training on how it's done. I just go for it, and when I have been focused on drawing I've gotten some decent results. And, they've mostly been in a comic book style, which you mentioned regarding the drawing you posted. Did you mean that because the figures were smaller than a full sized portrait? Just a few technical questions, lol, because I like to draw too, and I hope to have the time and be inspired to do so, soon.

I hope you are hanging in there and that you, your family and friends are all well.

As reported yesterday, I didn't go to church this morn, and now I am guessing I won't be going for a while. Our Governor has told all citizens over 65 to stay home, and that includes most of our congregation, so they'll probably be moving to online services as so many other churches have already done. I don't even know if they had a service today. Our church never updates their website. Oh well, I'll just sing in the car to keep my voice in shape, haha.

I tried Trader Joe's today on my break. I was surprised to see no line outside the store, and there were plenty of spaces in the parking lot. I found out the reason when I went inside. The shelves were mostly empty. They were out of almost everything, including chips, tuna and peanut butter, items I usually buy there. I went across the street to Vons and had no trouble getting most of what I needed, with no one in line whatsoever. So maybe the buying panic is already dying down. I sure hope so. In just the last half hour our mayor has closed all restaurants, nightclubs and movie theaters, by executive order. I hope they don't pull a quarantine on everyone ala Italy but I wouldn't be surprised at this point. I must say that the government and the media frighten me more than the virus, though I know the virus is serious business. I do worry about things like martial law. We take our freedom for granted here in America, but considering how swiftly the authorities have moved to close everything down, maybe we shouldn't. I sure don't trust Gavin Newsome. He may be a "liberal Democrat" (yeah sure), but he has the bearing of an authoritarian if I've ever seen one. Like Trump, he's from a powerful, wealthy family. A tough and scary guy he is. ////

At least the rain stopped, so I was able to take Pearl on a nice long push around the neighborhood. We have a two mile route, in fact, that takes us all over the place, but all on quiet residential streets so we don't have to deal with traffic or stop lights. We see lots of doggies, cats and birds and trees, and I like to point everything out to Pearl on the way. I keep a running commentary in fact, like a tour guide. So it was fun to get outside, and as mentioned I'm already confined in a way, during my work cycles, so I guess I was already in isolation mode, virus or no virus.

We didn't watch a movie tonight because we were watching the Democratic debate, but we did watch another classic (and appropos) episode of "Tales Of Tomorrow" afterward. This one was called "Red Dust" and starred Lex Barker of "Tarzan" fame. Barker is one of four astronauts returning from a planet in the solar system of Alpha Centauri. Two others crewmen died of a mysterious illness and were left behind. When the episode begins, one of the men remarks on the red dust that is covering their clothing. "This stuff is everywhere"!, he exclaims. "It's driving me crazy, making my skin crawl". The pilot has an observation of his own : "Does it seem to you that there's more of it now than when we lifted off? I only remember a slight dusting. Now it's all over the ship"! The crew's doctor concurs. He is examining a sample of the dust under a microscope and has some frightening news : "I hate to say it, but there is more dust now than when we left. It's multiplying. It has a spore-like quality and may be what caused the deaths of Smith and Jones"!  (or whatever their names were).

You can see the parallels already, and just like last night's episode "Plague From Space", we have another coincidental "Tale" on our hands. I don't know how to explain it. I don't recall any of the other episodes being virus related, but now all of a sudden we have two in a row.

The astronauts were all set to return to Earth and report their findings of ultra-modern cities on this planet, indicative of a civilization more advanced than our own. The cities were abandoned, but the significance of this didn't hit the crew until just now, when they noticed the dust and the doctor discovered it's deadly nature. Now, they realize the dust killed off the entire populace of the planet, and they know that they, too, are doomed. The doctor quickly understands that they must not return home, for to do so would jeopardize all of humanity. But Lex Barker disagrees. He is too vain to sacrifice himself. "I'm not gonna die"!, he tells the Doc. "I feel great, and I'm not gonna commit suicide just because of your conclusions. What if you're wrong"?

"But I'm not wrong"!, insists the Doc. Barker is bigger than he is, however - remember he played Tarzan - so he shoves the Doc aside and grabs a gun. Now he's gonna force the Doc and the other remaining crew member to return to Earth with him. What happened to the fourth guy, you ask? Watch the episode. I'll give you a hint.......he self-quarantined in a big way.

Well anyway, that's what it comes down to. There's a bunch of dust on board the ship that will infect everyone on Earth if the crew return home. Three of the crewmen want to do the only honorable thing, i.e. blow the ship up with themselves in it, but Lex Barker isn't gonna go along. What will be their fate? Tune in to my Facebook page once again to find out, or simply watch on Youtube. They have the entire episode of "Red Dust" available, complete with Kreisler Watchband commercials intact. By posting these episodes, I don't mean in any way to make light of what's going on now in real time. I just thought some classic 1950s science fiction with curious similarities would be a nice diversion.  :)

Well, that's all for tonight. May we all be in for better days soon. Seeing all the food in the store today made me feel very grateful for how blessed we are in America, despite the current difficulty. Stay safe and well.

One thing that will never run out is the Tons of Love I send you. See you tomorrow morning.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment