Tuesday, March 17, 2020

The Search for Peanut Butter + Extortion 17 + "Tales Of Tomorrow" ("The Duplicates")

This blog was begun Monday night, March 16th,

Tried Trader Joe's again this afternoon, hoping the rain might keep the customers away, but a lot of people must've had the same idea. Foot traffic was steady at the door and the checkout as folks picked over what was left on the mostly empty shelves. All I wanted was a jar of peanut butter and a bag of tortilla chips (no, I wasn't gonna eat chips & peanut butter. Get a grip). I go to T. Joe's for chips because they have a "no salt added" option. For a while now I have tried to lower my sodium where possible, due to an inherited tendency toward high blood pressure. They also have a "no salt added" peanut butter at Trader Joe's, but alas, neither the chips nor the peanut butter were in stock. Vons didn't have peanut butter, either, salted or unsalted (and they don't offer unsalted pb anyway, haha).

It looks like peanut butter is gonna be hard to come by for a while. That I can deal with. I love peanut butter, but it's like Kryptonite for me. Do you have any Kryptonite foods? I'm sure you do because we all do. I'm talking about something you like that, if you have it on hand, you overindulge. That's me with peanut butter. I've got a bunch of foods that are Kryptonite for me, potato chips being one, and ice cream, but I'll not veer off onto that tangent at the moment.

The rain lasted all day, so I wasn't able to do any walking. I did finish one of the books I've been reading : "Call Sign Extortion 17 : The Shoot Down of Seal Team Six" by Don Brown. It's the true story of the shoot down in Afghanistan of the Chinook helicopter carrying 30 American Special Forces troops and the subsequent cover-up of their deaths by the United States military. Seal Team Six was famous for killing Osama Bin Laden, though if you know me you know I don't automatically buy the official story that OBL was killed in that 2011 raid. It was all too convenient, the way they dumped "his" body into the ocean, etc., and we've had so many instances of false narratives here in America since the death of John F. Kennedy, that I think you have to be a fool to believe everything you are told by the government and their corporate media lapdogs. Really - truth be told - you should take everything the news media tells you with a grain of salt, because the news media is all about controlling the American public and steering them in the direction corporate America wants them to go. They do this by constantly pummeling you with a 24/7 information overload, but they don't tell you the real truth about anything. If you assume they do, just because you've chosen a "side" like MSNBC or Fox, you are only fooling yourself. So what you have to do, if you want to get the truth about a situation (or at least get closer to the truth) is to seek out books written about the subject you are interested in. And I don't mean best sellers that are written by the same corporate-interest authors that are gonna give you half the story and half disinformation. For instance, if you buy a book on Extortion 17 written by a mainstream writer, probably someone from the New York Times or Washington Post, you're gonna get a well written whitewash.

This is why I seek out books that are going to give me the truth. To backtrack, I already know that the electronic media are not going to do that, no matter what channel I turn to on any device. Books are the last refuge of truth because they are difficult to shut down. The author of "Call Sign", Don Brown, was a Navy JAG officer, and he presents his case - that the Taliban was tipped off about Extortion 17s flight path - like the top notch prosecutor he is. There is no doubt that the truth about this incident was covered up, and I highly recommend this book for Brown's diligent research and conclusive presentation. I am also reading "The Trigger" by David Icke, about 9/11, which I will have to report on in a future blog, as it is way too long and involved to go into here. My third book at the moment is "Roadshow" by Neil Peart. I ordered it after Neil passed away. I'd already read his first three books and I needed some Neil to help get me through the shock of his death. Now, he is not only entertaining me with his tales from the road on Rush's R30 tour, but he is making me laugh, too, something very wonderful at a time like this. Neil is not only a great writer but funny as hell, so he's cracking me up from the Great Beyond and I'm loving it.

It's now Tuesday night and I have good news! Peanut butter was discovered at Target. Yes indeed. I had a hunch to try the famous French Discount Store, and my intuition proved correct. I scored a large jar of Laura Scudders, the kind where the oil separates from the pb and you have to stir it up. It wasn't unsalted, but you can't have everything in this day and age. I got a big loaf of sourdough bread to go with it, enough to make sammiches for a week if need be. Now if I can just keep from eating all the peanut butter at once (or at twice or thrice). It's Kryptonite, remember? ////

I haven't watched any movies since Friday, just because I've been too distracted by The Situation to pay attention. Also, there've been the shopping concerns and the fact that I only have certain hours to watch a movie anyhow. When things are going smoothly, my schedule (pronun.) runs smoothly, but thanks to the fear-mongering media we're all worn to a frazzle. Again, I get that this is, for our generation, an unprecedented situation. But does anyone think it really helps matters to report, for instance, that there "could be" two million deaths here in America? Really, how does that bit of speculation help anyone? The answer is that "it does not help". It just ratchets up the Fear Level, which is what "The News" is all about anyway, even when there is no pandemic. Me, I try to ignore it but I'm only human, and while I do not fear the coronavirus myself, and while I believe we won't have a death toll anywhere near two million, the constant hammering on the worst case scenarios does have an effect on one's nervous system, and I am a caregiver for a 95 year old lady. So I haven't had the attention span to sit through a movie, but Pearl and I have continued to pound a nightly episode or two of "Tales Of Tomorrow". Tonight's ep was called "The Duplicates" and starred Darren McGavin (of "Kolchak" fame) as a man in need of a job who responds to an ad in the paper. When he shows up to apply, the man in charge seems to already know who he is, in fact he knows all about him. He tells McGavin that the job is unique and will require great courage, but it will only take 24 hours and will pay him a great sum of money : $250, 000 dollars.

That's a truckload of dough in 1952.

McGavin's a little taken aback, though he shouldn't be, considering what he was gonna see as "The Night Stalker" twenty years later. But he is, he's nervous about the job and he says so. "Why are you paying me so much? What do I have to do, and how do you know so much about me"?

"Because we've been studying you for over a year, and we think you're the perfect man for this job in every way. You're young, you're physically fit, you're highly intelligent and emotionally well-balanced, which is an especially important quality given what I'm about to tell you. You see, there is a planet, out there in space, that is very much like ours. Actually, as far as it's people are concerned, it's identical. For every person here, there is a duplicate on this other planet, who lives in a house on a street in a town that is also identical. Their entire civilization is exactly like ours, in every detail! Every person, every building, every tree, flower, and dog are identical to the ones here at home. What we need you to do, therefore, is to go to this other planet and kill your own duplicate by means of poison. It is absolutely imperative that you do this within the next 24 hours, for the Universe cannot support two mirror societies. Both will be destroyed unless you act".

The man, who works for the Air Force, then brings in a scientist to explain the physics of why the Universe cannot handle two identical civilizations. It's straight out of the Hugh Everett playbook, and it's great stuff, except that Hugh would say the exact opposite, that not only can the Universe handle two duplicate worlds, but that there are Infinite varieties of each one. If that were the premise, however, it would take Darren McGavin a lot longer than twenty four hours to resolve, and on the show he's only got thirty minutes, even less if you subtract all the preamble at the job interview.

He agrees to take the job, and in short order he's inside a rocket ship on his way to.....Earth!

You see, that's one of the punch lines. You thought he was from Earth, but he's not. He's from Jupiter!

The "duplicate planet" is Earth! (never mind that Jupiter is a gas giant 1300 times the size of Earth that likely has no discernible surface, and if it does it's made of liquid....)

But yeah! He's not from Earth, he's from Jupiter, coming to destroy our "duplicate" civilization by poisoning his mirror image. When he gets to Earth, he goes to "his" house. It's an exact replica, right down to his wife in the living room. She yells at him for being late for dinner, which freaks him out big time, but he's gotta keep his head on straight because he's got a job to do......

Is this a great show, or what? I mean, plagues from space, red dust from Mars, and now an entire planet of doppelgangers on Jupiter.......er, I mean Earth. I love "Tales Of Tomorrow", each episode is weirder than the last, and best of all the show was shot live, an early example of the nascent television format. This episode, "The Duplicates", was the last one in the Collection Two set of the series, but not to worry because I've just ordered Collection Three which should arrive in a few days. I'll get back to watching movies also, probably by Thursday night when I'll be back home and off work for two weeks. By then I'll be able to relax a bit more and we'll get back into the motion picture swing of things. But we'll have thirteen more "Tales" in reserve, just in case. Or maybe I'll save 'em for when I'm back at Pearl's. Anyway, that's all for tonight, so stay well and stay safe. I'm gonna read some Neil Peart and then get some shut eye. I'll see ya tomorrow morning.

Tons and tons of love.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment