Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Elizabeth + "Ghost Story" + The Miracle Of Nature at El Escorpion Park

Elizabeth, just in case you still read this thing, I wanted to say that I was glad to see your photos yesterday on Instagram. That is so awesome that you are getting ready to shoot another dance film, and I don't know if you've chosen your location(s) yet, but that forest would be an incredible place to stage some scenes, I think, if the space permitted enough room for dancing. I am talking about the area of thick trees in a couple of yesterday's pictures. I know that wherever you choose to shoot will look spectacular and will complement your specific dance theme, so best of luck once again.

I think it's great that you are again doing what you love to do, and I hope you get to do more and more of it - including your music and photography too.

Post when you can. I miss seeing your photos and posts on FB, you sure have created a lot of art over the last few years. And you're only getting started. :) 

Looking forward, as always, to seeing the finished film. Keep posting updates, and congrats in advance. I hope all is going well in your life and with your job, etc. Good things are gonna happen for you, for certain.  :):)

Well, I didn't watch a movie tonight because I am waiting on another batch from the Libe, but I did watch an episode of "Ghost Story" (aka "Circle Of Fear") from my complete series dvd set. This is the show produced by our old friend William Castle, who I think I mentioned when I reviewed the first episode a couple of weeks ago. It's a creepy little show (which is nice, right?), full of lurid 1970s colors and weird characters that don't look as celebrity-perfect as do today's TV stars. Tonight's episode starred Jason Robards as a ranger who is based in a remote shack in what looks like the Angeles National Forest. As the show opens, he is helping a taciturn old coot bury someone just off the roadside in a freshly dug grave. None of this is explained, i.e who they are burying, how the person died, nor why they are not going the normal route of using a funeral home and proper cemetery.

All we can gather from the old coot's mumblings is that it is important to get the guy in the ground quickly, because of some zombie superstition related to the mountain area.

Well, so that's a weird start. But we like Weird, right?  :)

It gets a whole lot weirder when he gets back to his forest ranger shack and finds his wife (Stella Stevens) getting ready to leave him because she finds him "boring". You want to yell at her, "wait a minute Stella! He's not boring. He just buried a guy in the dirt to prevent him from becoming a Zombie"! C'mon, Stella......how many guys are you gonna find with that kind of resume? Maybe hubby's pretty exciting after all.

Anyhow, it goes further downhill from there, because she does leave (or...ahem...tries to), and after she is gone, her television set - which she watched constantly while husband Robards was at work - begins to show him visions of the future - his immediate future, which doesn't look too promising, haha.

As I said, it's a demented little show, which means Two Big Thumbs Up. It will take you back to the look and vibe of the early 70s, when things were just a tad garish and horror was beginning another peak period in movies and television. We will keep doling out the occasional "Ghost Story" episodes, during rare lulls in the action when motion pictures are not available and the mood is not right for a "Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea" (which isn't very often).

But we've got twenty more "Ghost Stories" to go, so we will probably see them all by the end of the year.

Finally, I would like to say that I was extremely heartened to see all the new growth on the grounds and hillsides at El Escorpion park in West Hills, where I went for a hike this afternoon. I had not been there since Thanksgiving week, about three and a half months ago, and at the time, the park had been severely damaged by the terrible fires of last Fall. You may remember the photos I posted on FB of the park in it's burned state, which was awful. Three quarters of the entire grounds were blackened.

But today, I saw hills covered in lush green, the return of the first wildflowers, and most reassuringly, I saw green leaves on the tops of some old oak trees that I would have thought were dead last November.

That did so much for my spirit that I can't even begin to tell you, to see the resilience of the Oaks after what they must have withstood in the fire. Other folks were strolling the trails and you could tell that they felt the wonder of nature's recovery, too.

It was simply beautiful, a faith-strengthening experience if there ever was one. I can't wait to see what it looks like in May, when the wildflowers will be in full bloom. /////

That's all I know for tonight. Hope you had a great day. See you in the morning.

Tons of love.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment