Monday, April 15, 2019

1950s Housewife + "Ghost Story" + Tiger + "The Many Worlds Of Hugh Everett"

Hey Elizabeth! I really like your 1950s Housewife look. :) That mixer is classic retro and I love old appliances from that era because they remind me of the kitchens I grew up in (plus I just love the 1950s vibe in general). There was an appliance store here in Reseda that catered to retro tastes, they had all kinds of old stoves and refrigerators, all in good condition. Sadly it has gone out of business, but I used to love to window shop there. But yeah, I love that era as you know, and I think that among all the other things you've got going, you should have a show on the Food Network. You can be "The 50s Housewife", and it will be a big hit. :) That's a great pic and a good look for you. Keep posting if you have the chance. I am glad you are back. :):)

I did not see a movie tonight, but I did watch a particularly scary episode of "Ghost Story" in which a young blonde woman has the ability to turn herself into a mountain lion, which she does to kill anyone or anything that threatens her relationship with her man, a rodeo rider played by 70s TV stalwart Doug McClure. It's a twist on the classic werewolf story, filmed in part up at Vasquez Rocks, and the "isolation" technique producer William Castle uses to create a sense of impending doom is very effective here, In his movies and in this show, he always opts for very small casts, usually just a handful of characters. This grows into a feeling of isolation for the viewer, once the trouble starts, because the five or six people involved have no one to turn to. They can't call the cops or tell a neighbor what is going on because there are no cops or neighbors. In these shows, the small cast of each episode live in an enclosed world. They just have to solve their problems on their own, and in every episode one of the group is the main malevolent influence, a demon in their midst. In this case it is the shape shifting Bo Derek lookalike. Transformed into the vicious Puma, she will even attack the huge, rampaging bull that threw and trampled her husband (McClure) during a bronco busting exhibition. On paper it might not sound all that scary : rodeos and dusty Western motifs don't usually mix with terror or horror, but as always with "Ghost Story", you've gotta trust me with this series. I haven't seen an episode yet (out of seven) that has been anything less than stellar. They are like mini-horror movies. I am trying to dole them out to myself, but they are so good that I will probably have finished the 22 episodes in another month or so. ////

We had a nice Palm Sunday in church, with good singing. Back at home, Pearl and I watched highlights of Tiger's victory at The Masters. Like many fans, I was very much down on Tiger when all of that stuff came out about him in 2009. It turned out he was as fallible as the rest of us, but his image had portrayed him as squeaky clean and a little arrogant. It was therefore easy to cheer on his downfall, which I did, but then - as the years went on and we saw him keep trying to come back, only to keep failing, ranked low in the 400s or some such number, his story turned around to become one of sheer determination. The sportswriters were saying he was almost all the way back to form about a year ago, and now today......eleven years after he last won a major tournament.....he finally won The Masters for the fifth time at age 43. That is an amazing accomplishment, because A) he was all washed up, and B) eleven years had passed.

I don't care how great you are, eleven years is eleven years, and in sports that is a very long time indeed. Really it is the length of a person's career, in most cases. But this was Tiger Woods, who in the 1990s and early 2000s was said to be the greatest golfer ever, and now we see why. No matter what we thought of Tiger during his rise or his fall, the kind of determination we saw today in the culmination of an eleven year comeback, was incredibly inspiring. ////

So that was cool, and it was also Ritchie Blackmore's birthday, which we always celebrate around these parts. Sir Richard turned 74 today, but like many of those English rockers of a certain vintage he just always seems to be The Same Guy He Always Was, just like Paul McCartney, several decades older than when we first saw him but Still Doing It and not much changed.

It is mindblowing to me the way in which the years pass. I like to jump around in my mind and fancy myself in different eras, both ones I have lived through and ones I haven't but wish I had, like the 1950s.

I just began a book this evening called "The Many Worlds Of Hugh Everett III", about a physicist who came up with a now famous theory, that material reality, and therefore our lives, branch off into multiple and endless parallel worlds, because of the way in which atoms function as waves instead of particles. Atoms only become particles when we stop to measure them. Hugh Everett (whose estranged son became the leader of a band called The Eels) phrased all of this in mathematical terms to prove his theory, or so he believed. The "Multiple Worlds" theory was considered so far out at the time that Everett was ridiculed and drummed out of the world of physics.

Imagine another world, where you have perhaps won the Lottery, a world that exists in a parallel frame, simultaneous to the life you are living now.

I remember being a little kid of about seven. I would get my hair cut at the Los Angeles Athletic Club, and in the barber shop they had mirrors on both walls, in front and in back of the client, opposing one another. I remember sitting in that barber chair, waiting for him to finish trimming the edges, and looking into the mirror that was facing me.

That mirror would reflect not only me, but a slightly curving endless series of "me"s, because the first "me" from the original reflection was turned back on itself by the mirror on the opposite wall. The two opposing mirrors created an effect of "endless Me"s, sitting in the barber's chair, curving off into eternity.

That would be how I think of The Many Worlds Of Hugh Everett tonight, not having read the book yet.

I am not a mathematical genius, but I'll wager I'm on the right track.

See you in the morning with love through the night.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment