Friday, April 5, 2019

Elizabeth + Congrats + Tim Holt + Wagner's "Parcifal"

Hey Elizabeth! Wow, your commercial looks and sounds fantastic (no surprise there, of course). I am glad to see you back and super happy that you got the call from Sound Devices. I see that they have some pretty impressive clients and shows listed on their website, so now your commercial will help them to attract even more customers. I don't know if you wrote your music specifically for the clip, but if you did then that's cool too because it is good experience to write for a short form and to match the music to the images, like a mini-soundtrack. I am telling you stuff you already know, as usual haha, but anyway I am happy because I thought you were only working a regular job and that was why you were not posting anymore. Well, congrats again, and because I am the prognosticator of things to come, I see more commercial work in your near future, and more music and artistic work as well. Post if you can, but even if you can't, don't let months go by.......(my goodness).  :)

Yeah........wow. Sometimes it is all you can say. I was worried that you were slaving away in a cubicle at an undisclosed location. I was missing your posts and photos, but maybe you will have a chance to do some local everyday nature shoots too. I should talk - I haven't been on a single hike since March 4, almost certainly the longest drought I've had since I began my hikes in 2013. I should take my own advice and get out there, and I will in the next few days because I will have some time off.

But to recap : Super happy for you, know it's gonna lead to more work, post more if you can and try not to go for months without, lol. As you can see from all the "likes" you got today, your FB friends miss you too.

Well, on the Usual Front, I did watch a movie, a Tim Holt Western called "Thundering Hoofs" (shouldn't it be "Hooves", or am I being pedantic?). All you need to know about it is that it involved mail robbery, by bandits robbing stagecoaches - which is classic Western stuff right there, and it also had some great songs by Holt sidekick Ray Whitley, whose music I have come to enjoy in these movies. Because I like to sing in choir, and can appreciate good harmony singing, i have to say that Ray Whitley and his band are seamless in this regard. Their harmonies are like buttah, to quote Babs Streisand. Those boys can sing, and they add value to the 60 minute plots which are pretty good to begin with. The only other thing you need to know is that "Thundering Hoofs" was shot in Santa Clarita, partially in Placerita Canyon. There's another instance where all you can say is "wow".

Placerita was my main hiking destination for all of 2014/2015. A more beautiful and peaceful trail you will never find, and I took some of my best photos ever on those hikes, but because of that doggone fire in July 2016 (which was massive), the trails were destroyed and have been closed since then. The good news is that funds have been allotted to repair the park and from what I have recently read, they are hoping to re-open the Canyon Trail in 2020. Please may it be so.

May the world begin to heal itself.

I have been listening to Richard Wagner's final opera "Parcifal", which I bought on CD because I have been reading a book about Wagner entitled "The Tristan Chord", which I have mentioned. I am not overly familiar with opera in general, but I've absorbed it throughout my life because of my Dad and my sister Vickie, who especially loves the operas of Mozart and Verdi. I first became aware of Wagner because of "Apocalypse Now", and then 35 years later because KUSC played the "Tannhauser Overture" on a regular basis. Hearing it often, I began to feel that it was one of the greatest pieces of music I had ever heard. Finally I sought out a book on Wagner, for reasons iterated in blogs from earlier this year. And while reading "The Tristan Chord", a tremendous book on Wagner by Bryan Magee, I was so impressed that I purchased the four CD set of "Parcifal" from Amazon. The version I bought was by conductor Herbert von Karajan and the Berliner Philharmoniker.

The opera is over four hours long. I have spent the last four nights listening to it, one act at a time.

All I can say is that I've never heard such music. Magee's book has got me hooked on Wagner, and I will be studying several of his operas this year. I started with "Parcifal", which was his final work, and I don't think one can use words to describe it. It is obviously the polar opposite of rock n' roll, but I have been in search of the metaphysical since I was a teen, and in Wagner's music (which will take me many listens to get used to), I am hearing something transcendent. I have never heard anything like it, and I wonder how he could have pulled it out of himself. /////

Listen to some opera and/or some classical music if you feel so inspired. If you give other music a chance, besides just rock and roll, you will be very glad you did, trust me. No one loves rock more than I do, and I know every song by every band, but I still say that you should give classical music and opera a chance. If you love music that expresses the desire of the soul, you will have come to the right place.

That's all I know for tonight. Tomorrow I will be writing to you from home, off work for several days.

See you in the morning. Huge love till then.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment