Monday, February 10, 2020

"Mr. Wong" + "Midsommar" is horrible + Elizabeth

This part of the blog was written Saturday night February 8th :

Tonight I watched Mr. Wong again, in "Mr. Wong In Chinatown", but doggone it I kept falling asleep, just like I did with "Mr. Wong, Detective" several nights ago. Do you ever have that happen when you are watching a movie or tv show, where you nod off and miss a few seconds of the picture? It's a weird sensation, because it feels like you're only "out" for a moment, but when you open your eyes again you realize you've missed a fair portion of a scene. For me, tonight's sleepiness was worse than with "Mr. Wong, Detective", because I was nodding off over and over. Sometimes, I could tell I'd only missed a couple of seconds, but more often I missed ten or fifteen. Then I had to keep rewinding to watch the missing footage. It got pretty tedious, and though I completed the movie I don't feel I can count it as an official view because the continuity was all broken up. It was a good one, though, and I'll watch it again in the coming days and review it at that time.

This early morning stuff has me all screwed up, haha. Plus I haven't had a day off since December 25th.

And this part of the blog was written Sunday night February 9th :

Okay, so I went to Northridge Libe yesterday afternoon. I was looking for movies as usual, and I came across one from last year, called "Midsommar". I remembered the title, knew it was a horror film, and seemed to recall it got a lot of publicity upon it's release. So I took it up to the desk to check out. The clerk there was a sub, a young guy I'd never seen before. He took one look at my selection and said :

"Oh man.......this is a horrible movie"! The library clerks rarely editorialize on my choices, nor do I imagine they comment much on anyone's. The library is not Trader Joe's, after all, and a person might be checking out a controversial book or movie, maybe something political. So usually the clerks keep quiet and do their job. But this kid felt the need to comment, and comment most strenuously at that. I was slightly taken aback, so I asked him, "when you say 'horrible' do you mean it's lousy, meaning poorly made"? He replied "No. It's well put together. It's just brutal and horribly violent".

He might have added "depressing", "implausible", "disgusting" and "evil" to his description, but of course he had to attend to the rest of the folks in line.

I walked out of the Libe intending to watch the movie last night, but when I checked the running time, it was nearly two and a half hours long. There was no way I was gonna make it, so I thought I might have a better chance tonight. We were watching the Oscars at Pearl's, but I don't know most of the nominated films, and I don't care like I used to because it has become a modern day "celeb culture" presentation as opposed to the movie business awards classic it once was. So I thought, "well, if I get home by 8pm, I'll watch 'Midsommar' ".

I did get home by 8, and I did watch "Midsommar", and in retrospect I should have listened to the library clerk.

Take a moment and think of the most uplifting, life affirming movie you've ever seen. Now imagine the opposite of that, and you have "Midsommar". You know how much I love horror movies, and you know I'm not squeamish, but there are limits to everything, and in this case the "director" (I use the term lightly) went out of his way to make things as ugly as possible. He then stretched his film out so that it ran about an hour longer than a standard horror flick, for no apparent reason because his script was utterly nonsensical. I know I railed on "Once Upon A Time In Hollywood", which also featured abhorrent violence, but at least that movie had some entertainment value. "Midsommar", on the other hand - though skillfully made from a technical standpoint as the library clerk reported - is utter garbage with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

I turned it off at around the one hour mark, after sitting through the most repulsive scene I've witnessed since the infamous "Walking Dead" episode (that led me to stop watching that series). But then I fidgeted and hemmed and hawed. I thought, "well, this is my last night at home, before I go 24/7 at Pearl's.......maybe the movie will get better from here". So I put the dvd back in the player and in doing so I ignored my maxim, which states that "if a movie starts out bad, it's not gonna get better but only worse".

The end result was that "Midsommar" was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. It was spiritually negative in every way. Two Thumbs Down doesn't begin to cover it. Avoid at all costs, and on top of everything it was a very poor rip off of the classic "Wicker Man"(1973). That is all of the words I will expend on "Midsommar".  ////

I am much more happy to report that Pearl made it to church today, for the first time in four weeks. She is doing as well as can be expected and tomorrow I return to solo caregiving.

Elizabeth, I have to thank you for your posts of late. I have been living vicariously through you as far as art and outdoor adventures go, and this morning I saw your ice cave photo right before I left for church. That pic is a classic of you, indeed in "where's Waldo" mode. I've always wondered, with water as in a lake or river, or waterfall......at what point does it freeze? Because in photographs like yours today, even in the ice you can still see the "last second" flow of the water before it froze. It would be interesting to watch a freezing waterfall in action, to the point at which it stops falling.

And I assume you are standing, in that picture, on frozen water beneath the long icicles. You are hardcore, girl.  :):)

Later on this evening, I saw your pics of the dumplings you were making. They look delicious and I hope you saved me a batch. :):)

You are an awesome lady and you made my day.

See you in the morning. Tons of love.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment