Sunday, February 2, 2020

Wow Elizabeth! + "The Prisoner of Second Avenue" starring Jack Lemmon and Anne Bancroft

Wow, Elizabeth! Wow and double wow. I love your new song. If you had an album's worth of that kind of material, you could come out here and play clubs like The Troubadour and McCabe's. For real. I love your lyrics, too. They're very expressive, and it was very inspiring to hear your voice just before I left for church. I'm assuming that what you posted is just a snippet of the full song? Whatever the case, it's beautiful, and I just think it's fantastic that you're writing again. You have it in you to write great songs, so keep going, dig deep and express yourself to the fullest. This month it is eight years since I first heard your lovely version of "Autre Temps". It is amazing to me what you have accomplished since that time; your overall artistry is a wonderful thing, and what you have done has made me very happy. As always, I'll be looking forward to hearing more. It was great to hear the new song first thing this morning, so thanks for posting it (and for writing it!). If you play The Troub I'll be the first person in line.  :):)

Well, Grim came over last night with a movie called "The Prisoner of Second Avenue"(1975), starring Jack Lemmon and Anne Bancroft. He found it while digging around in his storage space. It was on a VHS tape rather than dvd. Grim says he taped it off the TV about 25 years ago. He is the king of videotape and still prefers that format. Good thing I still have a VHS player.

The picture quality was better than expected after a quarter century in storage and the sound was very good as well. The movie itself was a different story, though. It's not that it was bad. The screenplay was written by the legendary Neil Simon, adapted from his own stage play. It's just that it was the Yellingest Movie I've Ever Seen. Can I use that as a word, just this once? "Yellingest", I mean. If you don't like Yellingest, how about Screamingest? Can I use it? Okay thanks, that's very kind of you and it allows me to move on from trying to find the proper adjective or superlative or whatever it is that will describe this film, because after seeing it, I was about to have a nervous breakdown. For certain I needed a Martini, or a Valium, or both.

In short, it was 96 minutes of Jack Lemmon and Anne Bancroft screaming at one another, or screaming at their neighbors. Not my kind of thing, though it did have it's moments and the acting was fine. Lemmon was always good as a Man On The Edge.

Grim's tastes and mine do not always line up, and more often they don't. I can recommend "The Prisoner of Second Avenue" only if you are looking to add stress to your life, or if you are trying to drive yourself nuts. But other than that, I'd advise you to steer clear.

In the future, I shall think twice before allowing Grim to screen a film from his heretofore buried videotape collection, lol. ////

I guess that's about it for now. I'm listening to ESPN radio as I write and I'm surprised that all the pundits are picking the 9ers. To be honest, I don't really care who wins, but my pick would be Mahomes and the Chiefs. At any rate, I'm starting to get the hang of my new schedule, so the blogs should be coming on a regular basis once again (I hope!). And the movie reviews will be longer ("oh no, Ad"!).

I'll see you tonight at The Usual Time.

Tons of love.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment