Saturday, November 25, 2023

Disneyland Report

Hello Folks (if anyone is still reading) : I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving. I am resting up after a marathon day at Disneyland. I went with my sister (we drove there separately); it was the only day available for her, and we thought the day after Thanksgiving might be a slow one at the park. I couldn't sleep the night before, so at 5 am, I figured "what the heck" : if I was gonna lie in bed awake I might as well get ready and head down to Disneyland, to get there as early as I can. I was on the freeway by 7, it was a straight shot on I-5 to Anaheim, with no traffic, and, because we'd anticipated a comparatively quiet day at the park, I was somewhat surprised when I arrived to find myself in a fairly long line of cars waiting to go through the parking lane. I arrived in the lot at around 8:15 (fifteen minutes after Disneyland opened), but it took 15 -20 minutes just to get through the parking booth (no biggie), and then you do the security check and get on the tram that takes you to the main gate. I like the tram, but it was kind of fun, right after Covid when Disneyland re-opened, when they had you walk to the gate (about a half mile) because the trams weren't running yet.

The gate line was short, and I was inside the park at 9:09, walking through the Magic Tunnel. It may have been the earliest I've ever gotten there. The crowd was already good-sized. I've had days in the past when I've arrived at 10:30 to 11 am and Main Street was almost empty, but that only happens on a middle weekday during the off-season, and this was a Friday during Thanksgiving weekend. Anyhow, I went straight to the Main Street Cinema. I always bookend my Disneyland trips with visits to the Cinema, because Mickey started it all, and it was just 6 days past his 100th birthday (he has the same birthday as my Mom, who would've turned 100 also). After watching Mickey, I went to Sleeping Beauty's Castle for a walk through. It wasn't open the last time I went, so it was awesome to see it again.

I did Snow White, Pinocchio and Mr. Toad while waiting for my sister to arrive, and when I finished those, I thought "maybe I have time for Star Wars". The lines for that ride used to be 90 minutes to 2 hrs, now they average about one hour. I thought I'd chance it, but Vickie called when I was halfway through the line. She was at the gate and I had her ticket, so I bailed out of the line and hotfooted it back to Main Street. I met her at the gate. We still use paper tickets (you know me, I'm a caveman, don't have an iPhone, etc.), and anyhow, I handed Vickie her ticket, and we headed right back to Fantasyland. I love the whole park, but that's always been my favorite Land. We did all the same rides again (the ones I had just gone on). Then we went up to Toontown.

Have you heard about the new ride called Mickey's Runaway Railroad? It just opened a few months ago. Toontown used to be mainly for little kids (6 and under), but now adults will love it too. I didn't know what to expect with the Runaway Railroad. I'd read that it was impressive, but wait till you see it for yourself. Man, it's like being in a magical Mickey Mouse Dream. I'll say no more, but when you next go to Disneyland, absolutely do not miss it.

We went on Pirates and the Haunted Mansion, which was decked out as The Nightmare Before Christmas. The new Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse is awesome. Don't miss that one, either. We did the Teacups. I promised Vickie I wouldn't spin the wheel too hard. The trick on that ride is to stare at the person directly opposite you; it helps defeat the optical illusion that causes dizziness (loss of equilibrium). We rode on the Sailing Ship Colombia, which was cool because it's not always in operation, but the Mark Twain Steamboat was down, so they are using the Colombia instead. I always enjoy seeing the Indian Village at the back of the Rivers of America.

We did some browsing for pins and other merch. Disney has so many cool sweatshirts and tees available; man, people deck themselves out in all kinds of Disney gear. We saw several strolling bands, also, including a band of strumming Pirates in New Orleans Square. Vickie stayed until 5:30. I still had 7 hours to go. I've been at Disneyland several times now by myself. I've never gone strictly by myself, but I've done the park solo for hours at a time, and it's very doable. It's more fun to have someone with you of course, but even if you are there by yourself you don't get lonely because there are 50,000 people there with you, haha. I am already used to going everywhere by myself anyway, and I am a fast walker, and good at making my way through foot traffic (which helps at Disneyland), so I always pound a lot of rides on my own. After Vickie left, I went on the Jungle Cruise (lots of fun after dark!), and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. I did Winnie the Pooh, Storybook Land Canal Boats (a favorite), the Submarines (unmissable), Peter Pan. I did Haunted Mansion and Pirates again. I did Small World (which looks incredible at Christmastime), and then stayed for the fireworks, which ended with a fall of snowflakes and Christmas music. The last ride I went on was Indiana Jones, at midnight. By that time a lot of folks have gone home, and you can just walk right onto rides that would've taken an hour in line, earlier in the day.

I finished the night by purchasing a pin (I chose Pinocchio), then resting for 10 minutes, once again in the Main Street Cinema, watching Mickey cartoons and thinking of Disneyland trips of yore.

I'd live at Disneyland if I could. I suppose many folks would, also.

I left the park at 12:36 am, so I was there for 15 hours and 27 minutes, probably my longest day ever at the Magic Kingdom. I was on my feet most of the time and must've walked ten miles, so today I am taking it easy. The ride home last night was also a straight shot, no traffic, and I got back to my apartment at 2 am.

I hope to watch more movies soon. That's what I've been writing about for a long time. Life has been very interesting of late, but also very challenging, and I hope to understand more of what my life is all about. But for now, I am thinking about yesterday, which was really awesome, as every trip to Disneyland always is.

I hope you all had a nice Thanksgiving, and are having a peaceful holiday weekend. I will try to keep the blog going as best as I can. ////    

No comments:

Post a Comment