Monday, November 5, 2018

Red Light/Green Light + "Texas" w/ young Holden and Ford + Paul Tremblay Rules

I am back, and I am writing from Pearl's. The Green Service Light is holding steady for now, but I'm taking no chances, not opening up a bunch of windows or visiting any site that might be slow to upload. I did check my wi-fi connections when I started the computer a couple hours ago. I never use the wi-fi, but I know the connection ID, which was listed. But there was a whole bunch of other stuff listed, too. What does that mean? - are they other potential connections? Nearby connections? I have only used wi-fi about twice and I know next to nothing about it. I only ask because, as I mentioned in tonight's other blog, one reason for the red service light (according to other ATT customers with the same problem) might be someone trying to hack into your wi-fi, and on mine there are all these other ID's that aren't mine. One is called "Peanut" and is listed twice. Another is an unusual combination of letters and numbers, not like the ATT IDs.

Well, I am a tech numbskull and am too tired to think about it tonight, cause it's really an hour later because of the "Fall Back". I mean, I'm not a numbskull, it's just that I didn't grow up with this stuff and what's more, I don't have the patience because I don't want a lot of electronic devices in my life. I only want a computer for the Internet, and I don't want an iPhone if I can avoid it, or any of that other stuff.

Well anyway, shut up, Ad, and stop moaning and groaning. The Green Light is on for now, so make the most of it. Okay, I will.

I figured I'd start a new blog rather than continue the old one from earlier in the evening, just so you'd know that I was writing from Pearl's and the connection was working. I did end up watching a Western, as I had thought I might do when I signed off in the earlier blog. The movie was called "Texas", made in 1941, which makes it fairly early for a non-serial Western, and it had a great script that told an epic story of cattle rustling in the 1870s in the territory between Texas and Kansas. What was really great was that it starred William Holden and Glenn Ford when they were very young, just kids really. Holden would've been 23 and Ford looks about the same, maybe even younger. They play a couple of Confederate Civil War vets trying to get jobs in Abilene, Kansas, which was Union territory. They are rejected there, and so they start out to try and make money any way they can because they are desperate and hungry.

The movie has a lot of light comic elements and eccentric Western characters. The script packs enough story for a two hour film, though the movie runs 93 minutes. Once again we are in the era of Great Screenwriting. Interestingly, the look of the film is somewhat bare bones compared to the grand Western Sagas of the 1950s, shot in Technicolor or smooth black and white with a full grey scale. "Texas" is in B&W, but it has a "scratchy" look. Not because the film is old but because, in places, the black and white is not lit as well as it could have been, or the grey scale is incomplete. It has the look of the older Western films, and this is interesting because it's not an issue of technological development. Compare the masterpiece lighting and grey scale of a much earlier film like the recently seen "Dr. Jekyll", or even "Frankenstein", both made in 1931. Ahh, yes.....but that was big budget Universal Horror. So maybe the early Westerns got shortchanged a bit. "Texas" looks pretty good anyway, but the real draw is Holden and Ford when they were kids. William Holden with long hair! Him and Glenn Ford, who seemed in most of his films never to have been young, so taciturn was he in many of his most famous roles. But here he is with Holden, skinny and fresh faced, ready for action on the outlaw frontier.

Those guys are the draw, and the story which is very involving and features Claire Trevor in a pivotal role as the love interest.

Two Giant Thumbs Up, then, for "Texas", an early Western classic, made seven years before the legendary "Red River" with John Wayne and Montgomery Clift, the film that launched Westerns into the big leagues in the 1950s. ///

I am reading my third Paul Tremblay novel within apprx. seven weeks. This one is called "Disappearance At Devil's Rock", and it is just as eloquent, accessible, suspenseful and scary as the two I've previously read, those being "Cabin At The End Of The World" and "A Head Full Of Ghosts". I had never heard of Tremblay until Stephen King recommended him, and now I can't stop reading his books. He's not exactly a horror writer, maybe more of a scary suspense writer with a penchant for the supernatural, but man is he good. He has the page-turnability of a James Patterson combined with the eloquence of a literary author or even a poet. His sentences are like polished glass and you cannot stop reading. So yeah, check out his books, and I have probably said this already, if not several times than at least once or twice, but it is rare to find an excellent writer.

Especially if you like horror, or scary suspense. I have tried, and have found some good writers, but Tremblay is the first great one I have found since Stephen King. Their styles have little in common, but that's how great Paul Tremblay is. He's up there in the hierarchy and I highly recommend his books.

See you in the morning. The singing was good in church. Thank Goodness for Green Lights.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment