Sunday, November 25, 2018

The CSUN Powwow & "Mr. Sardonicus" by William Castle

Last night was a Grimsley visit, hence no blog for the usual reasons. From the number of page views, it doesn't look like anyone's been reading lately anyhow. One or two hits over the past few days. I guess everybody's been busy with the Thanksgiving weekend, whoever my handful of readers are. I began writing here on Blogger in 2013 as a way to communicate with Elizabeth after Myspace went under. She seems to have taken an extended break from FB, so I am guessing she doesn't read this blog anymore, either. Well, anyway, I write to the General You at the moment, meaning anyone who happens to read, even if it's only one or two people (and no one has ever responded, not even one single time). One day in the not too distant future I will refocus on harder core stuff like 1989 and perhaps even weirder things, but for now movie reviews will have to suffice. Those, and the slightly dull observations of the everyday life of Yours Truly, occasionally spiced with attempts at humor.

I am back at work at Pearl's, but during my breaks this afternoon and this evening, I went over to the Powwow at CSUN. It was the 35th Annual Powwow and so there was a good turnout, both of participants from various Tribes (or Nations if you prefer) and bystanders or audience. I go to watch the dancers and to hear the drum songs, this time sung by a tribal group called (I think) the Black Bear Singers. Please forgive me if I am wrong, but I know I am at least close. It was a little hard to hear the MC. The point is that the music is very powerful, and the rhythm of the drum pulls you in while the singing moves and hypnotises you. You can feel what the colorfully garbed dancers are feeling. They are dancing in tune with the music, and the spirit and the prayers and the nature that the songs represent. It was really something to be there this evening. I walked back over after my evening shift, having already been there this afternoon, only now it was dark and a breeze was blowing. I stood watching the dancers and listening to the drums and the chants, and I looked up at the gigantic Moon and saw the trees blowing in the wind....and I just thought that we need American Indian culture to regain some degree of prominence in the United States.

That may seem like a far-fetched idea, but when you witness their celebrations you can understand why the culture has endured for thousands of years, because it is nature and spirit based. I think in these times of division and political turmoil that the Indians (and it's okay to refer to them as such, they do so themselves) could help us to heal if they were increasingly included in the American discussion. They were here first. The English and other European cultures may have been the ones to build the modern American empire, but we need the Indians because they are spiritually grounded to this land, and have been for a very long time. They are it's true guardians, and their way of life is based not on what we consider progress but on sustainance.

I am probably rambling, so I'll shut up, but that's the way I feel about it. ///

Tonight I watched a movie from my William Castle Horror Collection called "Mr. Sardonicus". Man was it weird. And pretty scary, too, in a Gothic way. The year is 1887. A prominent London doctor is gaining notice for his revolutionary healing techniques. One day he receives a wax-sealed letter, summoning him to a castle in Central Europe, not quite a Transylvanian setting, but close. What has happened is that his former girlfriend has married the Baron of this castle. She has written the doctor, imploring him to visit, for her husband is not well. She implies that her own well being is tied to his.

The doctor still has a flame burning for his ex, and so feels compelled to make the visit, even though he is warned by a local coachman that no one goes near that castle because the Baron is a major league Spook.

In truth, he is a Ghoul. Holy smokes. William Castle, in his Hitchcockian style, does a two minute intro before the movie starts to explain to the 1962 audience exactly what a Ghoul is. I really do not want to repeat his description, so I am trusting that you know about Ghouls.

"Mr. Sardonicus" is a twisted but excellent movie. I have now seen two of Castle's horror films and both were unique in style and in content. Castle is an original. "Sardonicus" is very gruesome, but is presented in Castle's less-is-more way, where you are shown brief glimpses of horror, but the build up is all in the atmosphere surrounding the shock.

I am gonna end my review here. Sorry but I have to get up for church and as usual I am tired and running late.

All I can say is that, if you wanna see a horror film that's truly weird, and well made, and has elements of "Eyes Without A Face", "Phantom Of The Opera" and "The Man Who Laughs", then see "Mr. Sardonicus".

An original and striking work, shot in medium black and white with a British cast.

It feels like a Hammer Film, but it's even weirder.

See you in the morning in church.   xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment