Friday, November 9, 2018

"The Gun That Won The West" by William Castle + Two Brain Cells

Tonight I watched another Western from my 8-movie William Castle Collection, entitled "The Gun That Won The West". The gun in question is the fast loading Springfield rifle, which gave the U.S. Cavalry a distinct advantage in frontier outposts, where they were otherwise vastly outnumbered by Sioux Indians. Like all the Castle Westerns, this one is low budget but well-crafted with no frills. It plays almost like a history lesson. The real-life character of scout Jim Bridger is brought back. We saw him in another Western a few months ago (can't recall which at the moment), but he was involved in trying to negotiate a treaty with Red Cloud, the Sioux Chief, to allow the Cavalry to build forts along the proposed railroad lines going through Sioux Territory. Red Cloud trusted Bridger (at least according to the movies), and was always willing to listen to him. In this film, however, Red Cloud has a younger lieutenant who has nothing but hatred and distrust of white men, including Bridger. This younger warrior encourages war with the Cavalry.

Bridger's partner Jack Gaines, an alcoholic trying to win back his wife's love, puts his own life on the line by volunteering to ride out to the Sioux village, alone, to demonstrate the deadly efficiency of the new Springfield rifle to Chief Red Cloud, in the hope that he will see sense, not make war, and agree to the treaty.

The details of the history between the men are related through expository dialogue, to fill in the gaps in a 71 minute film. Castle has to keep things moving and he does so at a brisk pace, never lingering on a shot or extending a scene. If you are my age and remember "study films" from elementary school, it's almost like that, a low-budget Hollywood version of a study film. You kind of go, "well, everything seems a little wooden, but it's still an entertaining movie".

Dennis Morgan stars as Jim Bridger. He was a reliable pro who was known for film noir, but also had a fine voice that he put to use in musicals.

William Castle made competent, short length Westerns (most run about 71 minutes) that look good but have minimal camera work and no cinematic frills. What you see is what you get, but Castle pulls it off because he knows to hire a good team. Actors like Morgan, who was in bigger budgeted films for most of his career, know how to make the most of a brief scene and give it gravitas. Ditto Castle's cinematographer, who captures the Sandstone landscape effectively in the short bursts he is allowed.

I give it Two Thumbs Up, even though by comparison a movie like "The Gun That Won The West" is decidedly small-scale when compared to a Megawork like last night's DeMille Epic, "Sign Of The Cross". Not everything has to be gigantic, though, or even tortured and artistic. Sometimes being just plain competent is enough, and William Castle was always that.

If you love short movies (I sure do) and if you love straightforward Westerns, you can't go wrong with this Castle Collection. ///

Well, what do you think of Whitaker? I mean, you don't have to answer that because I know what you think of him. I only asked you so that I could tell you my opinion.

He looks like he doesn't have more than two brain cells to rub together. He reminds me of the high school jock who can get good grades and even go to law school, but who you know deep down is as dumb as dirt. You know what I mean? He's that kind of guy, with the bodybuilding and the fraudulent business front that he was part of that was fined 26 million bucks a year or two ago.

He's all shine and no substance, and from what I am seeing and hearing on MSNBC, his appointment by Trump is unconstitutional and will be fought by the new House Committee. I am feeling more confident in the new Democratic House than I was last night, especially because their potential foil, this guy Matt Whitaker, is every bit as big a buffoon as the guy who hired him.

I predict his appointment will go down in flames very shortly.

I can't wait until I don't feel the need to talk about politics, but right now I put my two cents in, because I have never seen a situation this bad, where the so-called president is basically saying, "yeah, I'm a crook and I don't give a f**k. Just try and get rid of me". He will go down hard, Trump will, and when he goes down, we will never hear from him again. And that will be a great day indeed.

That's all for tonight. Listening to Bill Nelson in the afternoon. See you in the morning.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment