Monday, October 30, 2017

Beatles Over Baseball + I Can't Take It Anymore + "Just A Closer Walk With Thee"

No movie tonight. Instead, I went over to Our Lady Of Lourdes Catholic Church across the street. They were having their annual Fall Festival this weekend, and Ticket To Ride - The Beatles tribute band - was playing as they usually are on the last night of the Festival. The group was in top form tonight. They had a lot of people dancing on the parquet square set up in front of the stage. I myself stuck to singing along to the songs. You do not wanna see me dance.....    ;)

I was there from 7-9:30pm. The group played most of that time with two short breaks, during which I walked around the block to get my miles in. There were also two TV sets in the band tent, which were tuned to the World Series. Do not get me started on that game. Now you know why I don't watch much sports, SB. It's because I wanna live out my full life and not die of a sudden stroke.

I just can't take ballgames like that. That had to be one of the worst baseball games in the history of baseball. When I had left Pearl's, the Dodgers were up 4-0, but still I had a bad feeling, and I am always right about my Bad Sports Feelings. Ask my buddies over at the King's X board how I called a win for New England in last year's Super Bowl, even though they were getting blown out something like 35-7 or whatever it was. I posted on that message board, "There is no way Brady is gonna lose. He will win it in overtime". I posted "Brady" instead of "Patriots" because I can't stand Brady as you know, because he's Brady and because he always wins. And because he's Brady.

But anyway, I just knew he was gonna come back and win, even though his team was getting blown out. And I called it one hour before it happened. I said, "Brady will win it in overtime", and that was exactly what happened. My buddies at the board were somewhat.......impressed, I guess you might say.

It's not that I'm a Sports Psychic. I play Yahoo Football Pick 'Em with my brother and his friends, and sometimes I win, sometimes not. But I have no emotional investment in most of those games. When I do have an emotional investment, I can tell who is gonna win.

You can just feel it.

And tonight, even when the Dodgers went up 4-0 and then 7-4, I just thought......"Hmmm, I don't think that's enough". And that's because in all my years of baseball watching, I have never seen a team as tenacious as these Astros. You've gotta have them down 10-0, and then you might have a chance. Otherwise, no. They are always gonna come back. I have never seen anything like it, and I am glad I did not watch the whole game. Thank God Ticket To Ride were rockin' the house and I knew all the words to every song.

I just can't do emotionally invested sports anymore, not even a little bit. I can watch sports when it's two teams I don't care about, cause then I don't care who wins and I can enjoy the game. But if it's one of My Teams, forget it. I am all done with that. There is just too much more to life and as much as I love the games, I just can't handle it. Better to just read about it in the paper the next day. This game was The Last Straw.  :)

I did have a nice hike out at El Scorpion Park in West Hills this afternoon. I was hoping for some good photos, but the light was a bit drab. It looks like our Indian Summer is coming to an end. Yesterday we had 95 degrees but today it was way down, overcast in the morn and with a high of about 75. Halloween is projected for upper 60s and cloudy. But that was an awesome two months in September and October, nice and hot most of the way through. It was a weird, late Summer, and it wasn't very long, but at least it finally got here.

We had Good Singin' In Church this morn. We were doing a choral version of "Just A Closer Walk With Thee", which was a big hit in the late '50s for Patsy Cline. It's got a Gospel/Rhythm & Blues feel, and the Tenor part had all sorts of unusual rhythmic tempos, so I actually had to study it all week. I was lucky to find a Soundcloud from the publisher, Hope Publishing, and I listened to it many times all week to get my part down. And I guess it came out pretty well. I love singing and want to keep trying more difficult pieces.

Man, could those Beatles ever sing. So could Patsy Cline.   :)

Tomorrow I will get back to Horror Movies, and Hopefully Another Hike, and maybe some pix, too. I will also get back to My CIA Letter. It has me on a little bit of a roller coaster ride where hope and expectations are concerned. I think what I really need is an FOIA lawyer, or some expert with this stuff to break it down for me, and tell me not only the exact meaning of the legalese, but also of the sum total of meaning in what is being said to me between the lines.

I need someone who really has experience with FOIA, to help me interpret what they are saying.

Well anyhow........

See you in the morn.   :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment