Thursday, October 5, 2017

More Karloff with "The Ghoul" (a classic) & You Are Doing What You Do, Which Rules

Tonight's movie was "The Ghoul" (1933), another Karloff Klassic. First of all is that title - I don't know about you, but I've always thought that "Ghoul" is one of the spookiest words in the English language. Just what is a Ghoul, anyway? I mean, I know what one is, and I should probably just let you Google it (or Googhoul it, haha) yourself cause it's really awful. But I guess I'll just tell ya : it's a grave-robbing cannibal. Sorry about that! But 'twas not I who titled the movie. Anyway, that word I think is really creepy, right up there with "Fiend".

But don't take my word for it.......ask your ghoulfiend instead.  :)

Hey! Now would that be a great title for a horror movie, or what? "The Ghoulfiend".

The tagline could be "You go, Ghoul"!

Okay, I'll stop - but that was pretty good, eh? It's October, and I'm in a Horror Mood, and in horror mode, and so you've gotta give me a break.

Back to the movie : Boris is an elderly Egyptologist on his deathbed. His house is full of the relics he has collected over his career, and he has even built a mausoleum for himself, in which he has instructed his servant to place him in a special coffin upon his imminent demise, located next to a statue of the god Anubis, whom he hopes will bring him back to life.

The key to this transaction is a unique jewel called The Eternal Light, which Karloff had purchased for a large sum, from an Egyptian Sheik who had stolen it years earlier from the tomb of Anubis!

But now Karloff has died, and his servant - who was instructed to entomb Boris with the jewel in his hand - has stolen it instead. This sets off the movie's plot and raises all kinds of hijinx, on the part of the Shiek and the heirs to Boris' fortune, and several others including a local Parson, who warns the attendees of the evils of Paganism........until it turns out that......well, I can't tell ya.

What I can tell ya is that "The Ghoul" is one of Boris Karloff's very best movies, really and truly scary and creepy. Or how about "Ghastly"?

There's another Great Word for you. Just what the heck is "Ghastly"? You can Google it, and it will describe this movie. I've seen "The Ghoul" several times, and I may even have mentioned it before, although the last time I watched it was probably 3 or 4 years ago. It's actually a British production, not made at Universal or Columbia or another Hollywood studio as are most of Boris Karloff's films. But the Brits show that they can match Hollywood in set decoration and atmosphere, and they even throw in a slight touch of Stiff Upper Lip humor as well. Make no mistake, though : "The Ghoul" is a demented little horror picture for certain, and another classic of the genre from the 1930s. Watch it on a fog-enshrouded October night. A substitution of dry-ice is permissible if you live in a dry climate. ///

That was all the news of the day, except for a nice quickie hike up at O'Melveny Park this afternoon. I hadn't been up there for a few weeks, so a good vibe was felt upon revisiting.

Elizabeth, I saw a post via Dee Biznatch about the Sonic Boom which suggests a similar good vibe for you, and I am super happy that you not only went, but that you are back in your element, Doing What You Do So Well. I've been waiting for some concert photos, and from what I've seen so far, you got some great ones. The air mattress pic of Kellin looks like he's on a Magic Carpet Ride, lol. I am very glad you had such a good time, and that you were back at it. Doesn't it feel really good to have that feeling of "yeah! - this is what I do, this is where I belong". Now of course, you do other things too, and when you do those things you are also In Your Element. So there is no doubt that more video work is on the way - count on it - and more music, of your own, is in the future too. All you need to do is keep that psychic focus. We've talked about all this stuff for a long time, and I know you know......

I also saw the post about time management via Joel, and that I agree with 100%, and it's another thing we have talked about fairly often, just sticking to your own life and focusing from within. I have harped on the importance of avoiding what I call the "24/7 Cycle" and you know what that is without me having to describe it. Listen to your own voice, your inner voice. And to any "helpers" you may have in the spiritual sense. You know what I mean by that, too. And thus you will keep your focus and manage your time well, and you will get a lot of stuff done.

I am very happy that you had such a great time at Sonic Boom. The good things are gonna continue. :):)

See you in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment