Saturday, January 6, 2018

Judas Freakin' Priest

Tonight was Part Two of "Generation War", as reviewed last night (about Part One). This is a tremendous production and I cannot recommend it highly enough, but will not review it any further this evening, as I made my point last night, and because the subject matter is far too grim for any but the hardened WW2 history buffs like myself. For all others, and interested young people, I would suggest a study of world history of the 20th Century. It doesn't have to be all at once. Even just to dabble in such a study is enough to start with. But I do think it is very important for folks of all ages to know, and to realise, what came before us. We don't have to dwell on it, but we should all know it. So, highest possible marks for "Generation War", and I will conclude by watching Part Three tomorrow night.

On an entirely different subject, the new single from Judas Priest was released today. First it must be said that this is another case where a little bit of study is in order, this time of the history of Metal. There have been a lot of heavy bands throughout the rock n' roll era, and it is correct to point out that groups like Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin or Deep Purple were present on the music scene several years before Judas Priest. But as much as I like Led Zeppelin, or love Sabbath and Purple, it also must be said that none of those bands was Metal. The closest was Black Sabbath, who could have been described as "Heavy" Metal, but even then, they weren't really that. "Heavy Metal" is a term that doesn't really fit any band, and I don't want to get into a hair-splitting analysis of the evolution of hard rock, but Sabbath broke the barrier into Heavy Rock, let us say........and then several years later, Judas Freaking Priest turned the sound into Metal.

Not "Heavy Metal". Just plain "Metal".

What's that? You say that labeling music is stupid?

I agree. But it's also kind of cool in the case of Metal, because Metal has been such a powerful force in rock music, and so I think it is good to know how Metal came about.

You can trust me, because I have been there since the beginning. I know every rock song that was ever on the radio and as an eight year old I bought 45rpm singles like "Born To Be Wild" by Steppenwolf. That song was certainly an early version of Metal, and of course it is the song where the phrase "Heavy Metal (Thunder)" came from. Steppenwolf named the genre, even though they were overall more of a blues-based heavy band.

But all of that aside, following the history down through the years, it was Judas Priest that first turned the heavy rock sound, and especially the downpicking element that was heard in Deep Purple's "Highway Star", into a syncopated, ultra tight and brightly produced new musical style that came to be called Metal. Priest was there first.

I saw them for the first time in 1979 at the Starwood Club in Hollywood and I've been following them almost ever since. I say "almost" because of the - here we go again - fifteen year interval where Rob Halford was not part of the band. For me, no Rob equals no Judas Priest. He has been back since 2005, thank goodness, but since 2011, KK Downing, the founder of the band, has been gone. He retired, and they got a Young Shredder named Richie Faulkner in his stead.

It's not quite the same as it was, as KK Downing was a Guitar Giant on the level of Jimi Hendrix, but it's still damn close. And if you listen to the new single, "Lightning Strike", you will hear all of the sonic qualities that made such albums as "Screaming For Vengeance" classics for the ages.

We are in a different age nowdays, and Metal of the Judas Priest variety - i.e. the Original Metal - may not be The Sound Of The Day any more. For me, I have no idea what the sound of the day is nowdays.

But Priest, by bringing back Tom Allom, the producer of their greatest albums, have created, at least with this new single, a sound very reminiscent of their prime, 35 years ago, when they could blow any band off the stage.

If we are talking about history, check out the "Live Vengeance" dvd from 1982, or listen to "Unleashed In The East" from (I think) 1980, or maybe 1979.

That's as Metal as it gets.

So I was excited to hear the new song today, and I am amazed as the guys approach 70 years of age that they can still create great new music in the same style.  :)

Hey Elizabeth! Do you wanna go to the Judas Priest concert with me?  :):)

I saw two posts today, both of which appeared to be Sweet Baby posts (one had a baby and a black kitty), and I thought that it would be great if we could go to the concert together.  :):)

Now, if we can't, you should go yourself when they play in Chicago.

But if we can go together, we should. At least in spirit. Or even more than that......  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment