Monday, July 16, 2018

Church + Hike + Science Slog + "A Quiet Place" & Pissed Off Lizards

Happy Sunday night. I trust that you are tired, as you should be after getting up early for church and then going for a hike this afternoon. I did both of those things too, so I know the feeling. :)

The singing was good this morn, though our new pastor uses a different format, so we got a couple of curveballs, one of which was a hymn with Spanish lyrics that she wanted us to sing. I don't speak Spanish, so I just went through it phonetically and tried to put the accents in what I hoped were the right places. The other surprise was that she had us sing our anthem (our weekly song) right off the bat at the start of the service. Usually we do it about fifteen minutes in, after we have sung a couple of hymns, which gives a choir member a chance to warm a choir member's voice up (ahem). All things considered, everything came off all right, but it was perhaps not an A+ day, at least for me. This will entail much Car Singing this week, as a method of self-flagellation and also because I like to sing in the car.

This afternoon I managed a few more pages of the Bearden book, and I wound up finishing another ten by nightfall, but man-oh-man, the technical jargon in this one is gonna make "Forbidden Archaeology" look like a page turner. It's gonna be a hard slog and I may not finish until mid-to-late September, but it will be well worth the effort because I will absorb enough of the lessons to at least have the knowledge entered into my brain. It doesn't matter if I understand every last detail right away. Just reading the words, and paying attention while I read will yield results "by osmosis", as Mom used to say.

Thanks, Mom.  :)

As mentioned above, like you I did get out for a late afternoon hike. I myself went to Santa Susana, just for a "wander around" type of deal. Didn't have the energy on a Sunday for any climbing, so I'll save that for tomorrow or Tuesday, when I have had a couple of sleep-ins and have pulled Energy From The Vacuum in the process.

I also need to vacuum my apartment, now that I think of it.

I did watch a movie tonight : "A Quiet Place", which you have almost certainly seen yourself, as it  has grossed 330 Million Dollars and has been one of The Most Humongous Horror Films In Recent Years.

So I probably don't need to tell ya the plot. Just in case you didn't see it, think M.Night Shyamalan's "Signs" combined with "Cloverfield" and you have a semblance of the style, if not the specific story, which utilizes Silence with a Capital S as a plot device, and in fact "Quiet Place" is really a silent movie. The silence is extremely effective as it is combined by high tension horror photography, and some of the best lighting I have seen in a horror flick for quite some time. Kudos to the lighting director.

Also, kudos to the young actress who played the smart but frustrated daughter of John Krasinski and Emily Blunt. I think she stole the show, and I see on IMDB that she is in fact deaf herself, which makes her performance all that more amazing.

Whoever thought of the "silence" idea was a genius, and I am sure Paramount is ready to offer him a hefty contract. I wonder why no one in cinema history had ever thought of it before, but there you have it - there are probably many story ideas staring us right in the face if we only would brainstorm them.

Two Big Thumbs Up for "A Quiet Place". It wasn't totally original, and it did take it's cues from "Signs" and "Cloverfield", but it added a new element to the Large Pissed Off Reptilian Alien motif, which is an accomplishment.

I'd like to make a movie to try and find out what these lizards are so angry about. I mean, if it was just hunger, that's one thing. Eat a few humans and be on your way, right? But in these movies, they always seem to be Royally Upset on top of it.

But what about? Why are these dudes so pissed?

Well, I don't know and I hope I never find out. But I mean, c'mon dude, chill out already.

That's what I would've said to the one in the movie. Take a break already. ////

Elizabeth, I liked your photo on FB Stories today, and it was funny because it reminded me of Standing Behind Giants At Concerts, which I wrote about recently haha.

See you in the morning after a major league sleep-in.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment