Thursday, July 5, 2018

Happy 4th of July, a Fun Day Today, with Many Memories

No movie, but a very active 4th of July. My sister Vickie came over at 12:30 and we went shopping. She wanted to go out to Sears at the Northridge Mall to look at vacuum cleaners. Since we were at the Mall, I was hoping to have a chance to look around at a few stores once again for some much-needed Cool Shirts, but time did not permit, and I didn't think my sis wanted to follow me around on my search anyway, so I shall return on my own before July reaches it's midpoint. Any longer after that and all the Fall stuff would be on display. It's Summer Shirts I want, but they've gotta be Cool as previously specified. If they aren't, I will hold out.

We also went shopping at Sprouts and Trader Josephus's in Granada Hills. Both stores were jam packed because of the holiday, but it's kinda fun to be Amongst The People when everyone is in a Festive Mood and purchasing supplies for the evening's barbeques and beer fests.

People love the 4th and I am no exception. It is one of my favorite holidays.

Despite the books I read and the subjects I am interested in (uncovering the truth about everything from JFK to 9/11, and all crimes in between), I still believe in The United States Of America, and that is because I believe 100% in the noble ideals this country stands for, as I was taught in school as a child.

Have we had corrupt leaders? For certain. We have had leaders as bad as any Nazi. Have we engaged in egregious sins against the Indians and the original African slaves and to an extent against their descendants? Yes we have. We have a score of widely known but never really apologised for sins and crimes to our name.

But those crimes were committed by a certain number of men, not by our country. And even if the number of men was high, and even if those men belonged to the military, or to government, or were men of wealth and power, their deeds still cannot besmirch the ideals of this country, which is mostly made up of good citizens who just want to believe in the promise of a good life.

Bad guys, even if they are Presidents, do not equal a bad country.

America is a great country, with great ideals that we must live up to and never let go of or stop believing in. Thanks for listening and I have now stepped down from my soapbox.  :)

I think I feel the way I do because I have a close connection, through my parents, to the Greatest Generation, who grew up during the Depression and then fought and lived through WW2. They really got thrown into the deep end as young people, but they stepped up to the plate and saved the world because they believed in the ideals of America.

So, screw Trump and all the other bad guys throughout American history, but hooray for America the Country, and for it's people. Never stop believing in it, but feel your love in your heart. Never use it as a slogan. True patriotism is quiet, yet very strong.

Now I am really off the soapbox, honest. :)

After my shopping with Vickie, I was back at Pearl's. I wanted to take her to Lake Balboa because that had been an annual tradition in years past. In fact, last 4th of July was the last time we went there as The Crew - meaning me, Pearl and The Kobedog. Kobi was frail then, and he passed away just ten days later.........but it remains an awesome memory, and so I wanted to take Pearl again today because the lake is very festive on July 4th, jammed with people and dogs and barbeques and ducks and pedal boaters and even... The Gopher. But Pearl was a bit sleepy, as happens these days, so we didn't make it to the lake. I did get her to go on a Gigantic Mega Wheelchair Push, however, which extended way past our usual route and all the way up to Cantara Street School, a mile away. My goodness!

We pushed all over the joint, past The Tract (as the area of Fickett Houses is known) way up to the school and then back down by way of Newcastle Street, where a coincidence of friends once lived many years ago : Sean, Pat, and Lys, who lived a bit further down the street. I remembered a tennis match in the middle of that street long past. Memories came back and I absorbed them, and continued to push the wheelchair. The evening was warm, with blinding setting sun to the west but shade to be had beside cinderblock property walls along the sidewalk heading south. We stuck close to the shady walls and headed home, though I always stop on our walks to point out every tree and colorful flower to Pearl, for mental and spirtual stimulation.

Finally this evening, I drove up to Porter Ranch as usual at 8pm. I parked in my usual spot on a side street a mile away from Shepherd Church (a megachurch), and I walked my usual walk to the fireworks site on Rinaldi Street. There was a huge crowd there as always, my guess is 50,000 people, give or take.

The fireworks show was great  of course, but this year there was one new twist which was really cool.

They had three para-jumpers jump out of a plane, in the night sky, and they descended to earth all lit up, with lights on their uniforms. Each jumper also trailed a fountain of sparks. They had American Flag parachutes. The crowd "ooohed" and "ahhhed". I've seen jumpers at air shows but had never seen a night jump, and I don't think the crowd had either. Each guy, in succession, hit a target in the center of Rinaldi St., and right when the last guy landed, the fireworks began. It was the usual 20 minute show set to patriotic music, and the crackling, bursting colors in the sky capped off a very nice day, of good energy and great nuance of feeling.

Elizabeth, I just saw on FB Stories that you went to see fireworks as well. It looks like from over the lake, so the setting could be either Chicago or Wisconsin, but I am glad you got to see the whole show before the rain began. I hope you had a blast, and a great day. I am glad the "Murica" guy behind you enjoyed it too, lol. Who knows....maybe he was being ironic.  :)

Or maybe not. :)

Happy 4th! See you in the morning.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment