Sunday, July 8, 2018

Hotness

A tad cooler today, only 107 haha, but we had the increased humidity that I talked about in last night's blog, so it actually felt hotter today, at least for me. Yesterday we had the extremely arid condition of 6% humidity, and today it was about 20%, which is not as bad as when we get the Monsoon Weather of 40-60 %, but still enough of a difference to make the heat feel like a hammer and to make you sweat through your shirt.

No hike today, though I did take a walk down past Studio 606 when I went to the Libe and found it closed because the air conditioner was broken. 606 is just two blocks down from Northridge Library and I occasionally walk past there, just to see if anything is happening. I call it my "Grohl Walk". Many big names have used the studio, including Paul McCartney himself, but I've never seen a doggone thing, nary a person going in or out, except for Lemmy who is painted on the back of the building. On my way back I stopped at the 99 Centavo Mercado for a gallon of water (Crystal Geyser, delicious), then I headed back to Pearl's, where the AC has been cranked for about 48 hours straight and is thankfully still running. Yes, I am a heatmeister, but I only love it outdoors because I love Summer. I decidedly do not like stifling heat indoors, and in that way I am just like everybody else.

On my way back to Pearl's I was listening to KUSC, and I came in at the middle of an aria. I was a little bit Zenned Out due to the heat and humidity and the endorphins from exercise, and I was suddenly listening to this amazing voice singing a most beautiful and emotional piece of music. I knew I had heard it before; the refrain was familiar. But the soprano was taking it to a level worthy of Dame Janet Baker or someone of that caliber. I was getting goosebumps listening to her voice rise and fall. I noted the time on the car's digital clock, so that I could look the piece up on KUSC's website (they keep a playlist), but as it turned out, I didn't have to. The eminent DJ Rich Caparella came on with the info that it had been Rene Fleming singing "Song To The Moon" by Anton Dvorak. Ms. Fleming is of course one of the greatest of modern day sopranos. You know great singing when it gives you goosebumps.

Listen to Rene Fleming sing "Song To The Moon" if you get a chance and if you feel like it.

That was most of the news for today. I did not watch a movie, though I did watch another of the David Lynch "Twin Peaks" half hour documentary films that are included in the TP dvd set as bonus footage. I have really enjoyed these little films because you get to watch the man at work, as he takes command of this gigantic project. We all know David Lynch "The Image", and so for us fans it's great to see him as a real person, and to watch him work with his actors and crew. I worry about his smoking because they show him puffing on cigarette after cigarette, but then my Mom smoked and lived to be 82, and Lynch is only 72, so he's got at least ten years left to make more art. And he does Transcendental Meditation, too, so he'll probably make it to 90 at least.

I also watched an episode of "Kolchak". You remember him - he is the newspaper reporter based in Chicago who seeks out stories that are supernatural, and winds up battling Vampires and Werewolves and all kinds of other spooky and antagonistic dudes who are not of this world. In this episode, he pursued the case of an orchestra conductor who had become possessed by the spirit of a recently deceased arsonist.

Now that's a far out idea for a TV script, but it's one that I won't try to explain because it's late and I've got church and choir in the morning. But watch it if you can, right after you listen to Rene Fleming.

See you in the morn and then after church. Stay cool.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):) 


No comments:

Post a Comment