Saturday, October 24, 2020

Don't Cut Your Hair + Me, I Need A Haircut + "Ruby" (1977)

Elizabeth, don't cut your hair, other than to maintain the ends. I mean, obviously it's your decision, but since you asked that's my opinion, and the last I checked, your poll was running 75% to 25% against cutting. You have such beautiful hair, and you've been growing it for a long time. You can always cut it later on, and eventually you could try something different, because you'd look great in all kinds of styles, even if your hair was relatively short. But for now, I say "leave it"!  :)

I'm actually the one who needs a haircut. Man, I wish I had hair of your quality, long and silky. Some guys, like a lot of the ones in metal bands - have what I call "girl hair", meaning that their hair is long and straight, and thick, and never seems to lose quality, even as they age. Me, I used to have great hair, though it was never long and straight. What I had was Big Hair, cause I blow dried it, and it was pretty long at one point, but it was shiny and strong. Then, in my late 30s I cut it short, and it's been short for most of the past 20 years (a few years ago it was a little longer), but now since the pandemic, and with the lady who cuts my hair out of business, I've let it grow, and my hair quality just ain't the same as it was when I was 25. Maybe it's my shampoo, I dunno. But once it gets to shoulder length, it just turns frizzy. Also, at some point my hair started curling up. It's really weird because as a kid my hair was straight, and everyone in my family has (or had) straight hair. But now, mine curls up, and it grows differently on one side from the other, and it's too hard to manage.

So, I wanna get mine cut, but there's nowhere to go. I don't wanna go to a chain salon, and I don't wanna wear a mask cause then they have to cut around it and I'd probably get butchered. I'm tempted to get some of those electric clippers that you can use on yourself, but then I'd have a Total Buzz Job, and I don't want that either, doggonnit.  :)

So for now, I'll wait, and hope my salon opens up again. The same lady has been cutting my hair for ten years and knows how to deal with it's unruliness without giving me a crewcut. The only thing she refuses to do is give me some color. I've asked several times but she won't do it. "Some men look better with grey", she says, but I don't agree. So that's my poll and you can cast your vote : To color or not to color? Because I really don't like the grey, but I don't want the shoe polish look, either. I just want a stylin' haircut, and a nice tint. That can't be too much to ask, right? :)  /////

Well anyhow, tonight I went back to the '70s again with a movie called "Ruby"(1977). Remember "Ruby"? That was another horror flick that we all went and saw. I remembered it as being more trashy that it turned out to be on second viewing, but I was correct in my recollection that it took place mostly at a drive-in theater, and that it starred Piper Laurie. "Ruby" popped into mind when I was looking for another late 70s film, Brian DePalma's "Obsession", which was unavailable on Youtube. I must ask the quick question : Whatever happened to Brian DePalma? He literally vanished from the face of the Earth. But we must move on and get back to "Ruby".

I remembered it as an exploitation horror movie about a psychotic young woman (Janit Baldwin), who is the daughter of Laurie's character. In my memory, Baldwin was "Ruby", and she had telekinetic powers which she used to kill and cause havoc at the drive-in. As it turned out, there was a lot of cinematic mixup involved in my memory. For starters, Piper Laurie had starred in "Carrie" a year earlier, another film with a girl's name for a title. She had a psychotic daughter in that movie too (Sissy Spacek), so that figured into my memory, and then Janit Baldwin resembled another actress with the same initials who also had a first name that was spelled differently than is common : Janus Blythe from "The Hills Have Eyes", which was also released in 1977.

So to sum up, you had the confusion of Janit Baldwin with Janus Blythe, and then you had Piper Laurie starring in two movies with girl's names for their one word titles. So I did get messed up, but as the movie unfolded, I said "aha...........now I remember".

Before I go any farther, however, I do urge you to seek out a copy of DePalma's "Obsession", if you can find one. There doesn't seem to have been a legitimate release, but it's a masterful suspense film, starring Cliff Robertson and Genevieve Bujold, who - like Brian DePalma - has vanished into thin air. 

As for "Ruby", check it out. It's actually filmed quite stylishly by director Curtis Harrington. Piper Laurie is "Ruby", a nightclub singer and gangster's moll who set up her boyfriend thirty years earlier. He was shot to death in a swamp by his turncoat mobsters, but now he's returned from the dead and is out for revenge, using Ruby's mute daughter (Baldwin) as a medium. The film is an amalgam of "Carrie", "The Exorcist" and gauzy thrillers like "Obsession", with a redneck drive-in movie sensibility as it's context. It takes a while to get going, but when it does, the climactic scenes with Janit Baldwin are memorable, as you can tell from the Google-able movie poster. One minor complaint : Piper Laurie has a tendency to chew the scenery, and when she does, especially when she gets loud with that throaty voice of hers, it can be highly annoying (at least for me). She is a good actress, and she was great in "Twin Peaks" and in "Carrie", but here it would have helped if the sound mixer had turned the volume control down in certain scenes. Watch "Ruby" anyway.

Unfortunately, the Youtube print was abysmal, in direct contrast to the Blu-ray quality of the flicks we've been enjoying recently. But watch it anyway. We're trying to capture the '70s horror ethos.  ////

That's all for tonight. Great game for the Dodgers. See you in the morning.

Tons of love.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment