Sunday, October 18, 2020

Mary Trump's Book + Eyelashes + "Deranged" starring Roberts Blossom

 I'm reading Mary Trump's book "Too Much and Never Enough", the bestseller about how her family, especially her grandfather Fred Trump, shaped the personality of her uncle Donald, whom she refers to in the book's subtitle as "The World's Most Dangerous Man". You may have seen Mary Trump speaking recently on MSNBC or one of the other news channels. I did, which was why I ordered the book from the Libe. This was back in late August/early September. By the time the book arrived a couple days ago, I wasn't sure I still wanted to read it. I mean, we're all sick of this guy, right? (I see you nodding in agreement). But at the time, as I mentioned, I had nothing to read. I was without a book, so I said "what the heck" and started in on the prologue. I'm now halfway done. It's a short book, only 200 pages, but I'm glad I started reading it, and if you really want to understand what has happened here, and what is really going on with Donald Trump and the Trump family, I highly recommend you read it too.

Mary Trump is the daughter of Fred Trump Jr., Donald's older brother who died from complications of alcoholism in 1981, when he was only 43. As the eldest son in an old-school wealthy family, Fred Jr. was expected by his father to follow in his footsteps, to eventually take over the family business. But real estate developing was not in his blood. He wanted to become an airline pilot, and he did, flying the brand new 707 for TWA in the early 1960s. For most parents, having a top pilot for a son would be a source of pride. But for Fred Trump, it was an embarassment, a letdown and - worse - a betrayal by his son, whom he then vilified at every turn thereafter. Fred Jr. began to drink, then became an alcoholic, eventually lost his job with TWA, went back to work for his Dad, and died at age 43. Mary Trump was a teenager at the time. She says Donald helped their father pile on the humiliation on his older brother, so that he could become the favorite son, and she offers example after example of the Trump penchant for cruelty. If you've ever wondered how a man could set a policy that puts children in cages, this is where it all comes from. Mary Trump will describe it for you.

It's a brutal story - and sad, on the part of her father Fred Jr. - but it lays bare the myth of the phony Trump success story. The whole thing is a fake, and who better to tell it than the ultimate insider, Mary Trump. Her Dad was more or less driven to his grave with the father Fred Sr. and Donald riding on his back.

I thought to myself, while reading tonight, "this book will be Donald Trump's epitaph as an "American Icon", and as President. This book is his tombstone. I truly don't believe he can win again, the karma against him is overwhelming, and he may actually have to leave the country as he yesterday threatened to do, so exposed is he now by the facts of his charade. Mary Trump will go down as a hero, in my book anyway, so make sure and read hers. It must have been horrible to come from that family.  //////

Switching gears, I must say Elizabeth, that while I don't know anything about mascara or makeup, your eyelashes look beautiful with or without. I hope I am not out of line with such a comment, but it's true. Remember, it was your eyes that first got me, in the "Autre Temps" video. Also, if I may say so, you have nice eyebrows, too. So to recap - eyes, eyelashes & eyebrows, all working together to marvelous effect. :):)

And while I know nothing of mascara, the only thing I can think of for "loss of lash" is that it may clog the hair follicle? That's my only guess. I've had problems over the years with certain shampoos that cause more hair to wind up in the drain, and cause itchy scalp, so I am always looking for non-allergenic products in that regard. ////

My movie tonight was another notorious classic : "Deranged"(1974), starring Roberts Blossom in an outstanding but highly disturbing performance of a character based on Ed Gein. I first saw "Deranged" at the Winnetka Drive-In in 1976, on a double bill with the equally twisted "Manson Massacre" (don't ask, but look it up if you want to). The very fact that they would show such movies, even at the drive-in, demonstrates how different, and wide open, pop culture was at that time. I must add that in actual fact, a modern horror film like the execrable "Midsommer" is - to my mind - far more offensive than something like "Deranged", but that is from an emotional standpoint. I think that the modern form of extreme horror debases human feeling and the idea of humanity altogether. It's nihilistic and I despise it. On the other hand, a film like "Deranged" - as sick as it is (and it is sick, make no mistake) does not present a detached look at such a character. Nor does it use it's horror solely for shock value. While the imagery in "Deranged" is extreme to the extreme, everything that is shown is in servitude of the lead character, "Ezra Cobb".

Having said all of this, it's not only not for the squeamish (which even the narrator advises), but I'll go one step farther and recommend you not watch it at all, not because it isn't a good movie - it's in fact a classic - but because 99 out of 100 people wouldn't be able to handle it. It's pretty gruesome.  /////

That is all I know for this evening. Go Dodgers! Coming back from a 3-1 deficit to tie the series. Can they win Game Seven tomorrow?

I sure hope so, for Clayton Kershaw's sake.

See you in the morning. Much love all night.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment