Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Random Thoughts (books, cars...)

 I'm just writing to say hi. Gotta keep the blog alive, even though I have nothing to report. I'm even without a book at the moment (good grief, Ad!). It happens so rarely that I can't remember the last time I had nothing to read. What happened was, I was right in the middle of the new Stephen King ("If It Bleeds"). I'd finished two of the four stories, but the book was due. I tried to renew it but no dice - someone had it on hold. So now I've gotta wait for it to be available again so I can finish the other two stories. In the meantime, I'm still waiting on Rob Halford's autobiography ("Confess"), which The Libe has on order. And I have yet another JFK book at home (this has been a big JFK year for me) : "The Man Who Knew Too Much" by Dick Russell. It's a major league tome, over 700 pages, and I was really looking forward to it, but it was written in the early 1990s, and after scanning it I realise I already know much of the information. So I'm in Book Limbo - I'm twiddling my thumbs! I'm a bookworm of the first order, I've gotta have something to read. I'll pick out a title tomorrow, even if it's not that interesting.

This is a Random Thoughts blog. When I was a kid, I was into cars for a couple of years. I still appreciate them (who doesn't), but I'm not a fanatic. For a while, though, when I was 9 or 10, I was way into muscle cars, and drag racing. Indy Cars too. I built models for a while, and a Camaro I glued together and spray painted candy apple red, was selected in a contest to hang in the 7/11 at Plummer and Reseda, just a block away from where I now live. This was in 1970, fifty years ago (good lordy moses), and also in 1970 I had a subscription to Hot Rod magazine, which was a big deal back then. Is Hot Rod still even in print? (I just Googled it and see that it is.........yesss!)

The point of this, is that when I take Pearl on our neighborhood walks, I've been noticing a car down the street. A lot of cars nowdays look the same, and this one does too, sort of. But the lines stood out on this one, and it was a muscle car, painted black, and it just looked really cool. We went past it a few times during my latest work cycle, and I found myself thinking about it. When was the last time a car caught your fancy? Maybe yesterday, if you are a car person. Me, I used to be.......a long long time ago. But I think I may be one again, because of this car, and I should add that I've also seen another one, parked up near my pad in Northridge. That one is dark green.

The car is a 2020 Dodge Charger, and man........it just looks badass. It doesn't exude horsepower, though it obviously has that, and it's not showy (no tailfins or extraneous attachments), but the design is near perfect. It has been compacted from the Chargers of old, to fit into the Mustang/Camaro "weightclass" so to speak, and to my eyes, it just looks perfect. Even the fact that it caught my eye says a lot, because I haven't thought much about cars for a long time, other than as machines to get me from place to place.

When I was 9 and Chris was 5, we had a slot car race track that we got for a Christmas present. The track was an oval. There was a transformer to power the cars, and handgrips to control their speeds. The box came with two cars, a Mustang and a Camaro. I was the Mustang, Chris was the Camaro. Each of us won at various times, and we also did all the Addams Family derailing of each others cars, and all that fun stuff. We had a blast with that track, and now, the new Dodge Charger has got me thinking about all of these things again. Boy would I love to own one........or at least drive one.  :)

Elizabeth, I hope all is well. I'm just asking because you haven't posted much of late. I know there's not a lot to get inspired about in this crummy year, and come to think of it I don't post much myself, other than David Lynch weather reports, but I hope you are doing okay. I know there's a Covid spike in your state, so stay safe, even though I know you already know that. I'm thinking about you, as always.  :):)

Well, that's all I know for tonight. Tomorrow I will be back home and off work for a couple weeks.

See you then.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)


No comments:

Post a Comment