Wednesday, September 23, 2026

We Had A Blast at Disneyland

We went to Disneyland on Monday. My sister suggested it a couple months back because it was a trifecta of opportunity: 1) she had the day off. 2) it was a Tier Zero ticket day, the cheapest at $104, and 3) best of all, it was Halloweentime, which had started about a week earlier. 

I'm a little kid where Disneyland is concerned. I can't sleep the night before, so it turns into a marathon for me. I get there as early as I can and stay until after the rides close. This time, I tossed and turned from 11:30 Sunday night until about 5am on Monday morning. Then, I said "the heck with it" and got out of bed. I got ready, then backed out of my parking space at 5:55am. Still dark out. No traffic til the Santa Ana I-5 interchange (medium bad), then back up to speed until four exits from Disneyland Drive. Then it came (almost) to a dead stop and ended up costing us a half hour. I had hoped to make it in time for the Rope Drop, which I've never done (have you?), but even with all the last-minute traffic, we still managed to walk through the magic archway at 8:07am, seven minutes after the park opened and the earliest I've ever been there.

Main Street was already filling up.

Why do I say "we"? Because I had already decided that You were coming with me, and I had you in mind from the start.

That's right. You were in the passenger seat of my car (sorry about the traffic). I told you we were gonna have a blast and we did. You rode with me on every ride (in spirit, which was especially cool on The Haunted Mansion), and we stayed until almost midnight.

I hope you didn't mind the (almost) 16-hour day.

What's your favorite ride at Disneyland? I'm guessing the Mansion, which was of course decked out as The Nightmare Before Christmas for Halloweentime. But what's your favorite ride besides that?

I'm not sure I can pick one (many people would say "Pirates"), but my favorite Land is Fantasyland for sure. Always has been, ever since I was a kid, and I always make sure to hit every ride. The lines weren't too bad this time, all throughout the park (average wait: 20 minutes, longest wait: 45, some rides we just walked right into).

If people saw a guy in black clothes, flourescent green shoes and an orange cap walking around mumbling and thought he was weird, that's because they couldn't see you walking with me.

We did other stuff, too: watched the Disneyland Band for a while (playing jazz and John Philip Sousa); we saw a Halloween Parade led by Cruella DeVille and including Snow White, the Evil Queen, the Red Queen from Alice in Wonderland, and the Wicked Stepsisters from Cinderella.

We went on the Storybook Land Canal Boats, one of my very favorite rides (how about you?)

Only one coaster-ride this time: The Matterhorn. Thunder Mountain was closed and we didn't wanna wait an hour for Space Mountain. We went on Tiana's Bayou twice and got soaked both times (I ain't wearin' no plastic poncho!)

24 rides in all (a few twice). We hung out on Main Street until apprx 11:45, said "thanks" to Walt Disney in his apartment above the Fire Station, then took the tram back to the Mickey & Friends parking garage and temporarily got lost because we forgot we were in the Pixar Pals section. But there was no traffic on the way home. We got back in a hour.

Thanks for coming with me. I love you.  💗

No comments:

Post a Comment