Saturday, September 30, 2017

Red Dress Series + Avocados + The Lunch Club

Well, Elizabeth, that was another stunning Red Dress Photo you posted this morning. It almost looks like you are on another planet. I like the very high mountain, the one farthest in the back and shrouded. You also got some of the "God Lighting" effect, in which the clouds break the sunlight into individual rays, and this can be seen (as you are aware) in the foreground. In this photo, the saturation of the red dress especially stands out, and I agree with your friend Brian, "when is the book and/or gallery show happening"? In fact, I've been saying it all along. This series has been fantastic, and also original, and you have placed Yourself and The Dress in some spectacular settings. I remember once saying that it would be awesome to one day do a photographic book with all kinds of imagery of various locations, combined with words on opposing pages. The words could be anything : poetry, descriptions of the location, odd thoughts, literally anything that worked together with a particular photo.

You sure have the material here to do something with, should you so choose, and of course have the opportunity. I have a feeling that the Red Dress Series is gonna find it's way out into the world. After all, the locations themselves are already expanding - all the way to Iceland!  :)

I also saw a post via James' brother that looks like you have a concert coming up, possibly Sonic Boom? I hope so. It would be great to see you back out there taking some concert pix too. Another post I saw was for Dreamhouse. I hope you are in contact with your bands, and if so, then the opportunities will continue. I'm glad you are posting. Good things are on the way.  :)

Today was a basic workday, nothing much to report except a quickie hike at Limekiln, taken after an equally quick stop at Trader Joe's for chips and salsa (got my avocados at Vons later this evening). And what's the deal with avocado prices, anyway? They used to be 99 cents - max - for years, and that was for the big ones. And more often than not, they were always on sale - two for a buck, three for a buck. I remember one Super Bowl week about ten years ago when the local Food 4 More chain had them at 8 for a buck! And this was for the giant Green Skin Avocados, too.

But - as happens - the growers got greedy, and now the best deal you can find is for a two dollar, good sized but not huge avocado. For me this is at Vons, normally a ripoff for produce, and at that store they want $2.99 for a giant avocado; the size that were once 8 for a buck on Super Bowl week ten years ago. Now, eight of those giant sized ones would run you 24 bucks.

The Growers got Greedy, and they never have avocados on sale anymore. The small ones now cost a buck, and the miniature ones are 75 cents.

I am hooked on avocados, gotta have at least a few bites every day (ususally half an avo), and so I suppose the growers have a "drug pusher" mentality : "get 'em hooked, then gouge 'em". There are worse habits to have, I know.....but two bucks for an avocado? How about a price break, Mr. Pusher (I mean, um...Mr. Grower). I am a good customer.  :)

In other Food News, I should mention that we now have a third kitty joining the lunchtime crew at Pearl's. I think I told you about White Paw. Did I? Well, anyway, White Paw is a black cat with, you guessed it!, white paws. She has been hanging around Pearl's backyard for many weeks now. Wherever she lives, she spends much of her time here, and she is always here for lunch, since about late July. So our own cat, the one and only Black Kitty, has had a lunch buddy for a couple of months. At first, I would see White Paw hangin' around, and I'd just allow her to finish whatever Black Kitty hadn't finished. But after a couple weeks, I began to put out a bowl of food for her, too, so she could have her own. Thus we have had the Lunch Club for about six weeks. And I'm not stealin' anyone's cat, cause White Paw is always gone at night, so no worries on that score.

But at any rate, word must have gotten around that there is a Crazy Cat Lady in the making, except he's a man - meaning me of course. And the big old grey and orange kitty that lives across the street is now coming over at lunchtime to join the group. She is also a She (so far as I can tell from afar), and is bigger than Black Kitty and White Paw, and much more self assured. She just walked up one day, about a week ago, like - "ya got a plate of food for me too"?

It's clear she eats at home, she's a big cat, but I couldn't refuse her to join the Lunch Club. So now we've got three kitties eating lunch, every day around Noon, and they all seem to know the schedule.

I hope I'm not doing anything wrong. As I said, I am not - and would never - try to "steal" anyone's cat. Both White Paw and Big Grey & Orange go home after eating.

But they seem to like The Lunch Club, and Black Kitty likes their company, and so I feed 'em.

I think The Kobedog would approve, even for cats.  ////

See you in the morn.

No comments:

Post a Comment