Thursday, April 12, 2018

Grim Didn't Make It Through "Husbands" By John Cassavetes

Tonight's movie was "Husbands" (1970) by John Cassavetes, except that it wasn't truly tonight's movie because we didn't watch it all the way through, and I don't think you can say that you have watched a movie if you didn't finish it, any more than you can claim to have read a book if you didn't make it to the final punctuation mark.

I noted above that "we" didn't watch "Husbands" all the way through, and by "we" I mean me and Grimsley. I saw the complete movie last year at CSUN during the Cassavetes Retrospective, and I am sure I reviewed it at the time, because of it's unusual nature and it's impact on me. In my review, I probably said something like "this was the most excruciating movie I've ever sat through", which was exactly how I felt as I watched it that night at the Cinematheque, and I wasn't alone in my assessment. Professor Tim himself had warned us beforehand by saying, "By a certain point, you may be asking yourself, 'why am I watching this' "? After stating that caveat, he asked us to bear with the film and see it through to the end. I did, and the experience was a struggle, I must say.

But then a funny thing happened, and I am also sure that I mentioned this in my initial review. The next day, I thought to myself - as awful as it had been to sit through all 2 1/2 hours of "Husbands" - I thought, "Hmmmm........that was a really good movie".

And that's what it is : a really good movie that is excruciating to sit through, at least on the first viewing, but which you come to appreciate in the aftermath. Now - it is in no way a great movie, so don't get me wrong. But it is a unique movie, because for one thing it is amazing that it got Green Lighted, and then it is amazing that it got released into major theaters, simply because it is so unconventional.

It feels like Three Guys Got Drunk And Made A Movie, the three being John Cassavetes, Peter Falk and Ben Gazzara. They are the "Husbands" of the title. At the start of the film, one of their best friends has died. He was the fourth member of their middle-aged gang. They attend his funeral, and as soon as it ends they decide to ditch the other mourners. The jump on the subway, head to the city, and proceed to get hammered. On the way they play a little basketball and go swimming. The whole thing feels like somebody followed some guys around with a home movie camera.

But then comes The Bar Scene. Grimsley did not see the film at CSUN, but had heard my general description and was sorry he had missed it, just for the "experience" (like watching a train wreck).

I wound up buying the dvd of "Husbands" a few months ago, mainly so I could show Grimsley "The Bar Scene". But I didn't present it that way. I only said, "I have the 'Husbands' dvd if you ever wanna see it". Grimsley attended a few of the Cassavetes screenings at CSUN but more or less hated all the movies. Conversely, I liked most of them, though I am aware that Cassavetes is an acquired taste.

Anyhow, being aware of Grim's dislike of the director's work, but also knowing of his curiosity toward "Husbands" (based on my testimony), I told him I'd purchased the dvd. That was a couple months ago. Tonight he decided he wanted to watch it. Now, I was certain he wouldn't make it through the entire film. At CSUN, I'd barely made it, and I like John Cassavetes. So I told Grim, "Okay, we'll watch it, but I guarantee there is gonna be a scene - I think it comes within the first half hour - that is gonna cause you to wanna bail. I am not gonna tell you what this scene is about, but I will let you know, when it is overwith, that it was The Scene In Question. Once you have sat through this scene, then you can decide if you want to continue watching the movie or not. It will be your choice. If you want to stop, no problem. I have seen the movie and I own the dvd, so I can watch it anytime. No worries. But.....you have to sit through the movie until this particular scene is over. That is my one requirement".

He agreed to do so, and we started to watch the film. Grim began to fidget a little even in the first ten minutes, simply because it is a Cassavetes film and there is no conventional narrative or technique that you would normally expect.

And then, at the 18 minute mark, The Bar Scene begins. I looked at the digital clock on the dvd player, and I timed it as I continued to watch. I knew I was in for a long haul. This was the scene that nearly finished me off during my initial viewing at CSUN.

At about ten minutes in to The Bar Scene, Grim began to fidget more uncomfortably. I was trying to remain silent, according to the rule I had laid down prior to our viewing. I was not gonna announce The Scene until it was over. That was my one rule. After that, Grim would have been free to go.

But we didn't make it that far, because he didn't make it that far. The Bar Scene did it's work on Grim, much as it had almost finished me off at CSUN a year ago. I never got the chance to announce to him : "That was the scene I was talking about". He noticed it on his own, just as I had at CSUN, and he spoke up at about 15 minutes into The Scene to say that he "couldn't take anymore".

I fully understood. All I asked at that point was that he finish The Scene.

"There's only about five more minutes to go", I said.

Grim acquiesced, and sat through the rest of it, but I could tell he was on the ropes.

The Bar Scene in "Husbands" is 21 minutes long, and I won't describe it to you. I will only suggest that you attempt to watch the movie one day, in the course of your lifelong cinematic appreciation.

If you can make it through The Bar Scene, I must warn you that it is followed by an 8 minute scene of Ben Gazzara vomiting in a stairwell nearby.

If you want to keep watching after that, you still have almost two hours to go.

Grimsley was all done, but what about you? Can you sit through "Husbands"? If you want to give it a try, I've got the dvd and will be glad to watch it with you at any time of your convenience.

You might not make it all the way through, and that's fine. But I do insist you watch it through The Bar Scene. Then you can leave if you wish.

And if by some chance you do make it all the way through "Husbands", I have some Chinese Opera I'd like you to hear.  :)

See you in the morning.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment