Sunday, April 1, 2018

The Easter Bunny + "Twin Peaks" Episode 8 : Lynch's Masterpiece + Five More Top Progressive Albums

I had a fairly active day today. Went shopping this aft with my sister Vickie, who I hadn't seen since December 30th. We went to the Super King produce market and then to Total Wine, where we enjoyed the store's complimentary wine tasting. We went to the Northridge Mall, too, just to walk around, and we had fun talking about The Beatles, which we very often do when we get together.

In the early evening (the time of day when things are "even-ing" out), I went up to Aliso and did a full-on 3.75 mile roundtrip hike of the entire trail. Boy did that feel good! It was my second trip to Aliso this week, after not having been there for a month, and it was Totally Bitchin'. I eased up on my geological observation this time, in favor of getting the lead out, haha, just walking and letting the place soak in.

When you are on a good hike at a steady pace, and you are just wanting to relax and clear your mind, you are tuning in to all the bird sounds, and the frog sounds. You aren't really focused on anything because your body is on automatic pilot (you've been on that trail a thousand times) and you are trying to sort of meditate through exercise.

I ran into The Easter Bunny. He was kind enough to stop and pose for a photograph, though it was the same sideways pose he always uses, I suppose because that's the way his eyes point. He likely sees more with his ears, which he turns like radar dishes. I posted the photo on Facebook to promote his big day tomorrow, which - like Santa Claus in December - he just happens to share with One Who is a bit more Renowned. The Bunny doesn't mind though. He gets to hide all the eggs, both chocolate and painted, and watch kids race around trying to find them. He did confess to being somewhat miffed at the Peeps, however, a large group of small chicks who he feels are trying to steal his thunder, packaging themselves en masse in stores worldwide. Of all the nerve.....

I parted ways with him at that point because it just wasn't my battle and I didn't wanna take sides. I'm a fan of the Peeps myself, though I didn't tell him that, and I'll ask that you please not mention it should you see him tomorrow which you undoubtedly will. Thanks in advance.  :)

Later on, after I got back from Aliso, I watched Episode 8 of "Twin Peaks".

Did you watch "TP" when it premiered last year on Showtime? I did not, but if you did then you already know about Episode 8. I didn't know until tonight.

I had thought Episode 3 was Weird, and in fact I reviewed it as being Weird. And it is.

But my goodness, Lynch fans, and Holy Smokes and Good Lordy Moses for good measure : Yes, Episode 3 was Weird, but it has been eclipsed by Episode 8, so much so that I will say right now that Episode 8 of the 2017 "Twin Peaks" is the Weirdest Thing David Lynch Has Ever Done.

It even Out-Weirds "Eraserhead".

If it were a one hour movie, standing alone without context to "Twin Peaks", I would consider it perhaps the most avant-garde work of cinema that I have seen.

Now, you might have a different opinion. It certainly isn't something one can make sense of.

But then it's David Lynch, and we are not expecting him to make sense, only to blow our minds.

And Episode 8 is his most mind-blowing work, I think, at least from a visual standpoint. Sound too.

Just watch it and decide for yourself.

Let's do a few more Great Progressive Rock Albums. I am super tired and have gotta get up early for church in the morn, so I'll make it quick. Here's five more that would probably fill out my Top Ten.

6) "Mirage" by Camel

7) "Tubular Bells" by Mike Oldfield

8) "In The Land Of Grey And Pink" by Caravan

9) "The Six Wives Of Henry VIII" by Rick Wakeman

10) "Hero And Heroine" by Strawbs

Tomorrow I might kick myself : "how could you leave out Manfred Mann or PFM"!

But as I said it is late and I am doing these Second Five off the top of my head. The First Five, listed last night, are Rock Solid - set in stone. And these next five are probably in the process of being carved themselves. These albums were created by bands at their peak, at a time when artistry was encouraged.

We will keep working on the list, and try to name as many albums as possible, a few at a time, and I will try to get more In Depth with my descriptions, exhaustion be damned. (Gee Ad, maybe if you didn't wait until such a late hour to write....)

Doggone late night Muse, keepin' me awake.......(grumble grumble)

See you in church in the morn. He Is Risen! 

No comments:

Post a Comment