Monday, May 7, 2018

Big Church News + X-15 + Don't End Up In A Man Cave

We got some surprising news in church this morning. Our pastor announced that he will be leaving at the end of June. He and his wife are returning to Hawaii, where he pastored before moving to Reseda Methodist about five years ago. He also had a church in Washington D.C. and is from Canada, so he's covered a lot of ground. Everyone was shocked at the news and we will be sorry to see him go. I am not actually a member of the church myself, but I've been in the choir for 3 1/2 years now, and I've been sitting up on the stage for many Sundays, right behind Pastor "G" as he gives his sermons, which are awesome. If his replacement is even half as good, not only as a pastor but as a person, we will be lucky.

We had good singin' this morn, as always. Speaking of singing, Grim is gonna audition for a Deep Purple/Rainbow cover band in a day or two. He told them that he can't do Ian Gillan, but will try for Ronnie James Dio. I said that if it were me, I would be trying for the Joe Lynn Turner style. Dio does that "sandpaper throat thing" that so many hard rock singers do, where they sing from their diaphragms as you are supposed to, but they shred their throats in the process, trying to get that macho sound. I prefer the Joe Lynn technique : full diaphragm power all the way through the throat and sinus cavities, with no sandpaper effect added in. I learned to sing in choir, so that's the only way I know. Imagine if in choir we added the macho throat thing......

Well, that's good for some rock singers, but I'm not a huge Dio fan anyway. Sacrilege, I know.  :)

Good luck to Grim on his audition. ///

I did not watch a movie tonight, but I did watch a lot of stuff from my X-15 dvd set. You remember the X-15, the rocket plane that set all of the mach speed and altitude records back in the 1960s. I am a nerd for this stuff, and I know I'd better ditch it if I wanna get married.

"Hey Honey! Wanna watch some more of the X-15 set tonight"?

Er.....umm.....maybe not.

But hey, wait just a doggone minute. I love my X-15 dvds! I won't marry a woman who won't watch at least an hour's worth of footage with me. :)

Tonight I watched some of the "extras" on Disc One, like "wind tunnel testing", where they use small scale models in the wind tunnel at Edwards, to test all kinds of aerodynamic considerations. Or "flight suit preparation", which shows the process the X-15 pilot must undergo, with the help of an assistant, to don his multilayered flight suit. There is also some super cool footage of the legendary rocket sled test track at Edwards, where a pilot is strapped into a raised sled that looks like a criss-crossed section of a metal scaffolding or a section of roller coaster support beams. He sits in a chair that is set high into this framework, with his full flight suit on, and he is braced into his seat, because he is going to undergo High G acceleration. Small but powerful rocket engines are attached to the back of the sled, and in the historical footage on the dvd you can watch these tests as they happened.

They wanted to test the effect of high G Forces on a pilot, and that's how they did it, on the rocket sled at Edwards. There was a famous photo years ago, of a guy riding the rocket sled with his face all rubberised and flattened out. He broke some kind of record for enduring g-forces.

Anyhow, I think I've got my bases covered, because I will go shopping and watch chick flicks, no problem. :)

And we can meet in the middle and go to museums. It doesn't have to be my way all the time.

Although there is the question of Westerns......and Sci-Fi movies.

You say you are okay with the Sci-Fi? Wow.....you are awesome.

But.....no Westerns....I understand.

I guess this is how the Man Cave came into being (though most Caves are about sports, ho hum snoozeville).

But hey!! Help! I'm calling for help here, because that's exactly what I don't wanna do.

I don't wanna end up in a Man Cave.

And I jest, of course, about all the man/woman stuff, the supposed divisions.

You know me; I don't go to romantic movies to make an impression on my date. I don't have any dates.

I go because that's how I feel. Maybe you feel the same way too.

See you in the morning.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment