Saturday, May 12, 2018

"Twin Peaks" + Lynch + Santa Su + Hey SB!

No movie tonight, but instead : Episode 14 of "Twin Peaks". Man oh man, the whole story is beginning to come together now, and I can see that every strange little sequence Lynch included along the way was a piece of the puzzle. Everything has meant something. Plot and meaning are often easy to overlook with David Lynch, who often seems to be focused on the weirdness of what is happening in his shows, and the viewer can be lured away, by the weirdness, from paying attention to the story. But there is a story, and as Lynch himself has said of his work : "I give you all the information you need to figure out what is going on". In other words, he gives you the same amount of info that you'd receive in a straightforward script from a mystery movie or film noir. It's just that he gives it to you in a very abstract way, and you have to make sense of it.

In the course of watching "Twin Peaks" (2017), I vacillated between thinking it was amazing and thinking it was pretty good but not as good as the original. I've returned to amazing, and I'm sure that will be my final verdict. This "Twin Peaks" is not to be compared to the original. It is an entirely different conception, with many different actors (and many from the original), and different settings. There are many scenes set in office buildings, in cities, whereas the original was - if I remember correctly - entirely set in Twin Peaks, Washington. So the 2017 version has branched out quite a bit (an understatement!), and yet it is part and parcel of the original series, because - apparently - it is a continuation of the same storyline.

There would probably have to be a Mueller Investigation of David Lynch's mind to determine if this is true, but for now we will just have to accept that it is.

I've still got four episodes to go, but I'm ready to declare the entirety of "Twin Peaks", from 1990 to 2017, as one of the greatest works of television ever produced. If you total up the episodes from the original series (30) and the 2017 TP (18), and if you add in the 1992 movie "Twin Peaks : Fire Walk With Me", you have a 50 hour experience that was made mostly for television but could also stand up as a non-stop motion picture, if anybody had the stamina to watch for that long, lol.

I'm not done yet with "Twin Peaks", but it goes without saying that it gets my highest possible rating. I think that with Lynch, sometimes you have to take a step back to truly appreciate what he is doing. I will eventually re-visit the entire work and watch all 48 episodes (from both series) and the movie, and do it all over the course of, say, three or four months. Pound it! in other words... Maybe in 2019. ///

This afternoon I managed to go out to Santa Susana for a one hour hike. Give me a High Five, because I am trying to get back into it.

(Wait).......didja give me the High Five? You did? Okay thanks.

I wasn't sure because I am over here on the computer, and you are over there on the computer. Or maybe on the iPhone. Can you read blogs on a iPhone? I dunno, but thanks for the High Five. Your support means a lot to me because I wanna start hiking again, as much as I can, and I wanna start taking pictures again. Gotta get back in shape, too, and lose weight.....

Elizabeth, if you are reading, I saw and heard your re-post of your cover of "Dream", which you originally recorded last year, and though I may have said this at the time, I have gotta re-iterate that your vocal on that song is exceptional. I am sure that you know the concept of "selling a song" by conveying the emotion of the lyrics in your delivery, and in emphasizing and isolating high notes at the crescendoes. In other words, "singing it like you mean it". Our choir director harps on this every Sunday, but he also talks about the dynamics of a song, and which words need to be given volume. That kind of thing. You had more choir training than me, so you know what I am talking about. But speaking simply as a music fan who has been listening all my life, boy do you ever know how to sing a song, SB. You really bring out the feeling in the lyrics, not an easy thing to do.

I hope you have more music in the works!  :):)

Tomorrow night I will be going to see Steven Wilson, so I am looking forward of course. For once I won't be going by myself, hooray! My friend Ono (not his real name) will be going with me, and we will be meeting Grimsley down there. Grim has a separate ticket, he is not a major SW fan but decided to go at the last minute.

Mr. Wilson always puts on a show that ranks with the best you can see, and I will tell you about it tomorrow night when I get home, which should be before midnight.

See you in the morning.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment