Monday, May 28, 2018

Listening To Byrds & Spiral Starecase + Another Important Paragraph from my CIA FOIA Response

Mega Super Duper Sunday Night Tired & back at Pearl's, settling in for another work cycle. I didn't watch a movie cause I was too sleepy to concentrate, and I also had some songs in my head that I wanted to study the vocal lines for, and also the chord progressions. One of my main radio stations in the car (besides KUSC) is 1260AM, the Oldies Station. They play The Byrds a lot, and I got "Mr. Tambourine Man" stuck in my head and wanted to learn the words and harmonies. It's fun when you hear a three part harmony, especially one that is perfectly blended, to try and isolate each vocal and see if you can sing it. It's easier for me on a Sunday since my voice is warmed up from choir, so I learned both Byrds hits, the other one being "Turn, Turn, Turn".

There is a song they play on 1260 that was a big hit on Top 40 radio in 1969. It's called "I Love You More Today Than Yesterday" and it's by a group called Spiral Starecase (and yes, the spelling of Starecase is correct). When I was a kid in the 60s, I had my transistor radio going 24/7, and i knew every song on the radio. I loved the Spiral Starecase song, with it's lively beat and soaring vocal, but I hadn't heard it in decades until recently, when I discovered 1260AM.

Here's what I need you to do. Youtube the song and give it a listen, even if it's not your type of music. It's actually a classic pop song and you may have even heard it before, but anyhow, listen to it one time all the way through.

Since I started singing in choir, I learned a lot about the technical aspects of music, stuff that I didn't know before except by intuition. I learned what tenor vocals are, for one thing, and when I listen to 1260AM, which plays nothing but pop music from the '60s, I came to realize that almost every single pop singer has a tenor voice, and not just that, but 95% of them have high tenor voices.

Those pop singers of the 1960s can sing!

But this guy from Spiral Starecase - I Googled him and his name is Pat Upton - he is the highest tenor of them all. Man, what a voice! Again, whether or not you like the music is one thing, but for me, as a choir singer who has a newfound appreciation for the technical aspects of singing, I am amazed at the notes Mr. Upton can hit on this song. Just when you think he's gone as high as he can go, he goes higher, and without resorting to falsetto. Every note he hits is full power.

Well anyway, there's your homework for tonight. ///

I will now give you some more information from my Freedom Of Information Act/Privacy Act response letter from the CIA, on which the background info was provided the other night, along with a few important sentences that featured two very important words. The excerpt I will give you now is from the paragraph that follows the one I posted the other night, which you can go back and reference if you wish. Here is the second paragraph :

"To the extent your request also seeks records that would reveal a classified association between the CIA and yourself, we can neither confirm nor deny having such records, pursuant to Section 3.6(a) of Executive Order 13526, as amended. If a classified association between you and the CIA were to exist, records revealing such a relationship would be properly classified and require continued safeguards against unauthorized disclosure. You may consider this finding a denial of this portion of your request pursuant to FOIA exemptions (b)(1) and (b)(3) and PA exemptions (j)(1) and (k)(1). Exemption (b)(3) pertains to information exempt from disclosure by statute. In this case, the relevant statutes are Section 6 of the Central Intelligence Agency Act of 1949, 50 U.S.C. 3507, as amended, and Section 102A(i)(1) of the National Security Act of 1947, 50 U.S.C. 3024 (i)(1), as amended. I have enclosed an explanation of exemptions for your reference and retention".

That's all I know for tonight.

See you in the morning.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment