Friday, July 24, 2020

A Few Thoughts

I'm really tired tonight, without the mental energy to do a lot of writing but I'll write what I can. I haven't been doing much the past few days. Just working. On my breaks I go home and read a few pages of Neil Peart's final book "Far and Wide". I am grateful for Neil. His writing is propping me up right now, and it blows my mind to think that after all he did in his life, and what he meant in my life, that he's now a spirit in the sky. Thanks, Neil. Man, life is short. Well, it's long and it's short. The elasticity of time, etc. But yeah, I'm wiped out.

Eric Clapton once sang : "Why does love got to be so sad"?, and the answer is - it doesn't.

John Lennon sang : "All you need is love", and he was right, but I'd add that you also need communication. Speaking for myself, I may have been neglectful in that respect, writing only movie reviews and glib quips for the past couple of years. I think I know what happened here. I'm not going to go into detail, but Elizabeth, because you and I are on the same wavelength, you can understand psychically what I'm talking about. Believe it or not, I can feel what you're feeling from 2000 miles away. I've been hit by the same tidal wave, and it's overwhelming. It's a mental thing, involving chemistry and magnetism as I mentioned a day or two ago. When you love someone, and they love you,  you're connected, no matter how far apart. Heisenberg would understand. It's action at a distance, and it's very real. Humans can be physically distant, but spirits travel. You've felt this in your sleep, and it happens in your waking life too. Love is the most real thing in human existence. You know it when you feel it, there is absolutely no mistaking it, and there's no mistaking the pain that can be associated with it when there's a conflict or a misunderstanding, which is what has happened here. And the pain in this case, for me, has been overwhelming.

I had an idea today for a sequel to "The Ocean". What if the two people in the song didn't go their separate ways? What if they realized their relationship hadn't been a mistake and that they really loved each other? Then the story would turn out to have a happy ending, and the tidal wave this time would be one of immense joy, not to mention relief.

That would be a great two song combination, I think.

The only other thing I know tonight is that I love the picture of the channeled "1950s Housewife" on Instagram. Everything about that picture is perfect. I'm not being chauvinistic, and anyway a housewife is one of the most noble of occupations (my Mom was a housewife) so to heck with being PC, but in the photograph all the decor looks right out of Good Housekeeping, in a time I would have liked to have lived in myself. I'm a child of the 60s, which was pretty close, but the 1950s, for me, was picture perfect. As is the lady in the photo, the one with the beautiful smile.

I'll write more tomorrow, hope you had a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment