Thursday, June 21, 2018

"One Step Beyond" + Hey SB! + My Left Eye

I'm writing from Pearl's once again, back for another work cycle. I did not watch a movie tonight, but I did watch the 70th and final episode in my "One Step Beyond" dvd set. "One Step" was a TV series that ran from 1959-61 and dealt with the supernatural. It was similar to "The Twilight Zone" in some respects, and like TZ it also had a host, John Newland. The main difference between the shows was that "One Step Beyond" based each episode on a true story of some inexplicable event. Then, at the end of each show, John Newland would ponder how it might be explained. The explanation was always left up to the viewer, which was a big part of the show's appeal. There were 70 episodes in my six dvd set. It did not contain the complete series, which totaled 96, but seeing as how the picture quality was less than perfect on some of the shows, I am guessing there were many that could not be salvaged. Regardless, every single episode I saw was at the very least compelling, and most were goosebump inducing. Highly recommended.

Elizabeth, if you are reading, I read the interview you did with the Chicago art magazine. I think I found it through your Instagram or maybe your website. Anyway, it was a great interview and you made a lot of good points about photography and the creative process. I liked that you promoted your Red Dress photos, and it was super cool to see you get some recognition! You will continue to get more, count on it, and I also hope you get to shoot some more concerts in the future because you have some amazing shots in your portfolio and I know how much you love to go to shows and photograph the bands. It really sucks that Facebook (ruining things as always) has apparently stopped showing me the "posts you like" feature. It hasn't shown me anything new for several months now, and that was the only way I could communicate with you on a daily basis. As I always say, I'm still here, but now I can only communicate when you post something. I don't know how regularly you read this blog, but I did see "Mackintosh" a day or two ago, so I just wanted to let you know that it is beyond great that you are having success with your art. I even saw a comment from "Alcest Official" on one of your photos on Instagram, so maybe that was Neige himself, which would take everything right back to the beginning.

You are doing great - as was forseen! - and things are going to keep getting better. And I also see many concerts in your future, with lot of pictures  :):)

I am somewhat relieved tonight, on an entirely different subject, because I had been worried about my left eye. I think I may have mentioned this once before, probably just in passing, but about a month ago, maybe six weeks, I began to notice a strange feeling of muscle weakness around my eye. Normally, a person isn't really aware of any physical feeling around the eyes I don't think, except for a touch of eye strain here and there. Maybe an eyelid twitch every once in a great while. I've had those on rare occasions. But overall, even as a person experiences gradual deterioration in their vision and comes to need glasses, as I did in 2015, I don't think that the average person notices, per se, a lot of sensation around the muscles of the eye socket.

This is what I began to experience back in early May. My right eye felt normal, meaning no unusual sensation at all, but one day my left eye began to feel weak, as if the muscles in the socket had been fatigued in a workout. This feeling continued for several days and would sometimes be accompanied by unfocused vision, as if my weak left eye was trying to adjust to my stronger right eye. Sometimes all of this included an eyelid twitch. There was never any pain involved, but there was always this very noticeable feeling of muscle weakness all around the eye. I finally did some Googling, and of course all kinds of spooky stuff came back (which is why they say to never Google medical problems).

I figured it was being caused by lack of sleep, which can be extreme at times when you are a caregiver, and I am sure that the lack of sleep has contributed to the problem. But I also noticed that the it would go away for a day or two, and my eye would feel like it was recovering. On those days, my vision was as sharp as it could be for my age.

Starting last Saturday I had a few days off, and one of my main goals for those days was to get as much sleep as possible. Among other things, I wanted to rest my eye, and the rest of a couple of sleep-ins did seem to help. But this morning I had a major revelation.

I woke up to find myself in a sleeping position that I know I have unconsciously fallen into for perhaps several years now. In this position, I throw my left arm up above my head, raised up above my shoulder. I do this because it feels relaxing. You know how you adjust your body when you go to sleep? You turn one way or another, or put your arms under your pillow, or whatever? Well, I knew I had often raised my arm and stretched it, but I'd never thought anything of it.

This morning, however, I awoke in my apartment to find my arm stretched high above my head...

and laying exactly across my left eye.

Boom! A lightbulb went on in my head. I had a Moment Of Clarity just as I awakened.

My arm had felt heavy on my face, dead weight over my eye. I am betting now that it has been The Arm that has perhaps lain over the eye long enough on a night or two to cause nerve and muscle distress, and caused blurring of vision on some days as well.

An analogy would be if you fell asleep with your leg twisted beneath you, and it went to sleep to the point where some minor nerve damage resulted. Your leg would recover so long as you didn't let it happen again.

I am almost certain that is the case with my eye, which has been worrying me quite a bit recently because it has been the weirdest feeling......

But I am willing to bet it's been because of my Arm Thing, and I am gonna train myself, starting tonight, not to sleep that way. My eyes feel good tonight, sharp enough for age 58, and the muscle weakness around the left eye feels like a bruise that's beginning to heal.

Keep your fingers crossed for me, and I'll keep you posted. Thanks.

See you in the morning.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment