Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Words

No movie tonight cause I went over to Grimsley's again. I've gotta quit "hanging out" in the evenings though, because I need my nights back. Hanging out once in a while is okay, every couple of weeks, a few times a month. But not multiple times per week. It's better for me to watch my movies, read my books, play my guitar and work on my drawings in the evenings, in lieu of being in a relationship, which is what I really want. But "hanging out with the boys" is at the bottom of my to-do list. If I do it too much, I start to feel like I'm in junior high again, because of the level of conversation.

Anybody wanna get married?

Lemme know. With me, you'll never have to worry about a committed relationship.

Meanwhile, while I continue to endure Singlehood, it's best that I keep to my own interests, think my own thoughts, pursue my hobbies, and maintain my focus on the things that are most important to me.

I did begin the new Stephen King book this morning. It's called "The Outsider", and boy is it ever a page turner. I've remarked that SK has really honed his style down in the last ten years or so. His sentences are shorter and to the point, and he doesn't go off on as many tangents. He still writes 600 page books, but ever since he became interested in writing crime fiction, it's become easier to devour them. With horror, there is a often a supernatural element, something that cannot be described by "nuts-and - bolts" writing. More imagination is necessary, and therefore the reader must also take time to translate the imaginary world the writer has created, because it is so far removed from the ordinary life experience.

That is why King's most famous books take longer to read, because he is digging stuff up from his Id, and then elaborating on it, creating a reality out of a supernatural situation, which is unnatural to the reader.

Crime fiction, on the other hand, is natural to the reader because we live in a world of crime and read about it everyday in the newspaper. We do not have to use our imaginations as much in the visualisation of reading a crime novel, as opposed to reading a horror or fantasy story, and so we can read faster because it reads like real life.

I am interested in dissecting what I read - in case you haven't noticed, haha - and analyzing why some books are "dry reading" (aka "academic"), and why I can pound some books while others take me months. I am interested in the way the mind processes different worded materials.

Words, and the way in which they are strung together, may be The Whole Deal.

I have often thought that, and I have thought that words may just contain the Ultimate Code, like an "Open Sesame" code, if the right words were put together in the right order.

Certainly this is the way in which words work in poetry.

And in love. Can you imagine writing the ultimate Love Letter?

If you wrote such a letter, the words would transmit exactly the feelings you had wished to send to your loved one, and he or she would receive, in emotion, everything you wrote.

This is what I mean about the real power of words, as a potential code for peace, love and cooperation.

But as for words used in stories, I will always defer to Stephen King, whether he is writing from deep in his imagination to create a world I must imagine, or whether he is writing hard boiled crime, that is (unfortunately) easy to understand, and can be turned page by page.

Try writing things down for a day or two. Write a sentence about anything, maybe what you are thinking or feeling. Often you may be thinking about what you are feeling. The heart and mind often work together. So try being their translator. Just write a few sentences.

Then read your words back, and maybe write some more the next day. It won't take you more than a few minutes.

You may discover that your Inner Voice has something important to say.

See you in the morning.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)


No comments:

Post a Comment