Thursday, March 6, 2014

Italy? (Madison) (movies)

Good Morning, my Baby,

I saw your post a little while ago. So, are you going to Florence? I thought it was later in the year, like Summer. But then I see you took the post down, so I don't know if you are going soon, or when. Because you took it down, I thought you might have meant it in a "Murrica" kinda way, cause you also had the post yesterday about the man and his son.......anyhow, I guess I don't know how you meant it, but if you are going to Italy in the immediate future, please let me know. I know it's going to be a great experience for you.

It's Thursday, so that means hair salon. I'll be here right now until 11am, then back and forth until about 2pm.

I Love You and support you in all ways, all the time.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

(back in a bit)

11:45am : I saw your post (Brian's) a little while ago, and I am guessing that it means you are "living in" Madison/Middleton for the time being and therefore not immediately going to Florence. Is that a correct interpretation? I will guess yes for now. Other than that, I hope everything is good. I know you are going to the DSLR seminar this evening, and I hope you pick up a lot of good info. I will be going to movie night at CSUN, missed it last week due to the KX concert, so I gotta check and see what the film is. I'll check in before I go.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

5:30pm : I'm writing from Pearl's to say hi. Tonight's movie is Ray's "The Big City". It runs about two hours, so with the pre-film lecture and any bonus footage, I should be home at the usual time, maybe 10:15 at the latest. I hope you've enjoyed your seminar, and I will see you in a little while......

11:25pm : The movie didn't let out until 10:10pm, it was closer to 2 1/2 hours than what it says at IMDB, but it was really good. Ray's stories are all about the changes going on in Indian society in the early-to-mid 20th century, and this one is about the struggle for women to be accepted as equals in a rapidly modernizing "big city" (the title) where two incomes are required to adequately take care of a family. The old way is for women to stay home and men to work (same old story, right?), and in this film, a young wife decides to get a job to help supplement the income of her struggling husband. Soon she is outearning him. With Ray, it's all in the directness of the story, the dialogue is simple and there are no catches nor subtexts. It's pure story, told more by the expressiveness of the actors and the way they are situated in a scene, than by plot or dialogue.

On another note, I was really sorry to read (via my brother's post) that Deluxe Laboratories in Hollywood will be closing it's doors for good on May 9th. So much history and memories connected with that lab. I only worked there briefly in 1999/2000, but Dad was there for years, first when it merged with a smaller lab called General Film, and for a while it was called Deluxe/General. In 1967, Dad spent a Summer in New York, helping to set up the Deluxe lab there. He moved over to Metrocolor in 1970 after the "Hello Dolly" fiasco (I think I've mentioned that one), and I worked at Metro mostly, in my stint as a lab worker. And that was a great lab, but Deluxe was legendary. Most movies have either been processed at Technicolor or Deluxe for 100 years. Metro was #3, and some thought they had the most natural looking colors of all the labs. Technicolor was great, if lurid. But if you look at Deluxe color from the 1960s, it's pretty spectacular. Bright and crisp, without looking oversaturated. Anyhow, it's old family history and memories, but I sure am sorry to see it close. Glad I got a chance to work there, just for a short while.

I will see you in the morn. I Love You, my Angel.   xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment