Saturday, September 26, 2020

Books, Mysteries, Thrillers, True Crime & More 60's Pop Classics

 Wow SB, that is some serious book pounding - 500 pages in three days. Must've been a real page turner! Sorry I wasn't able to come up with more recommendations. Too bad my Mom isn't around; she read a ton of mysteries and could've named you dozens. Her favorite author was Ruth Rendell. You may be looking for something more contemporary, I don't know. Stuff like "Gone Girl"? I'm just guessing. I'm more of a horror guy, but I did read some good thrillers a couple years ago that were recommended by Stephen King. On was the Lou Bernay I mentioned, and then I read two others that took place in Boston. They were crime fiction, but the writing was outstanding, yet for the life of me I can't recall the author's name. I'll have to do some Googling. But I learned about him from King, too. For a while, SK was doing a lot of recommendations on Facebook, which is how I discovered Paul Tremblay, the best horror writer since King himself. 

I have read other authors in the past, and about 20 years ago I was on a Dean Koontz kick. He is more supernatural than horror, but with an almost metaphysical tinge. Koontz is weird, hard to categorize, but boy does he have some writing chops. I remember thinking that he is a master of sentence construction, that every line he wrote was like a polished diamond. Because even King, as much as I love him, could go on and on in his early books, and not quite hone things down. Now he does so, but Dean Koontz was always a master of that kind of precision. 

I also love True Crime, and in that department I must reiterate that you can't beat "Norco '80", maybe the best True Crime book I've ever read. It reads like a thriller, that's for sure, and in the long run it will go down as a classic book of any genre.

And I used to love Ann Rule, who was The Queen of True Crime. More recently, I've read "I'll Be Gone In The Dark", a bestseller by Michelle McNamara about the horrible Golden State Killer.

Stephen King has his own excellent crime fiction series, the three "Mr. Mercedes" books. 

I've also read every book on the Manson Family and tons of serial killer stories, but - yikes! - that kind of stuff can get pretty gruesome, so ya have to have an Inner Homicide Detective in you to proceed, and I've mostly gotten those books out of my system. After reading about BTK, I'd had enough, with the occasional exception since that time. 

More great songs from the '60s! Singular songs, with original, dynamic melodies.

"Happy Together" - The Turtles

"Incense and Peppermints" - The Strawberry Alarm Clock

"Green Tambourine" - The Lemon Pipers

"I Love You More Today Than Yesterday" - Spiral Starecase

"Venus" - Shocking Blue (released in 1970)

Regarding "I Love You More Today Than Yesterday", while I was in choir (which seems like a long time ago), I used to tee that song up on Youtube when getting ready for a particularly difficult church song, like at Christmastime. We had a very small choir, so each voice would stand out, and there was nothing you could hide behind. So if we had a song with some extremely high notes, I would sing along to Spiral Starecase, whose song was a gigantic hit in 1969, and whose singer Pat Upton had perhaps the greatest tenor voice - at least on that one song - in all of pop music. 

The thing about 1960's Pop Music was that every song sounded different. Maybe that was what was great about having so many One Hit Wonders, and so many producers working with them. It became like 31 Flavors. Every song was like a a different scoop of ice cream.

Well, that's all I have for tonight. I hope you had a good day. I love you, Elizabeth!

See you in the morning.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment