Tuesday, September 1, 2020

For Elizabeth (capturing the melody is what's important)

Elizabeth, I like the melody you're working on in this morning's clip. You commented that you were only noodling but it sounded to me like you have a nice thread to build on. As for letting the synth samples play the chords, that's fine. When you're composing, it's all about getting the idea down. Later on, once the piece is written, then you can practice it to get the chords involved.

You already know anything I could tell you on the subject, but everyone uses some form of backing tracks to make demos, or just to jam to. Man, I recall when I used to practice alone years ago. I had an "old school" Roland Analog Delay, can't remember the model number but it was a classic, similar to their famous Space Echo, and I would play a few open chords, then adjust the delay so it would ring out in a nice rhythm. Then I'd have something to play over. Of course, that's what drum machines are for too, just to get the creative juices flowing and to make demos. Guitarists use those all the time when they write, plus bass lines too.

So yeah - use your string samples to your heart's content, because the most important thing is getting the musical idea out of your head so you can hear it being played. Use all the building blocks you need when you are writing, then when it's done you can work on the performance technique.

It's similar to writing a book. When you start, whether it's only with a single idea or with an entire concept, you just want to "get it all on paper" so it doesn't escape you. So when you write your first draft, you don't worry too much about perfect sentence construction or repetitive words or incomplete thoughts. You leave that stuff - the mechanical stuff - for second and third drafts. In a first draft you just furiously write your heart out to capture your inspiration.

Anyhow, as you also noted in your comment : "It still sounds good", and I agree. It sounds very good, and the important thing is just to get those melodies out of your head, so you can develop them into compositions. Also, it's good to record every idea you get, at least the ones you like, so that you have a "library of melodies" at your disposal. Who knows when one might end up fitting perfectly into a piece that comes along later?

Well, I'm telling you stuff you know, but I do it anyway.  :):)

I am writing from home, as my latest work cycle has ended and I am off for the next couple weeks. I will definitely get in some hikes this time, and take some pictures.

But just remember...Art Rules The World. And music is one of the greatest of the arts. That's just all there is to it.

I love you and will see you in the morning.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)


No comments:

Post a Comment