Sunday, September 6, 2020

Plants & Runes & Wagner (for Elizabeth)

Elizabeth, I like how you have framed the view in your photo this morning, with your houseplant surrounding the camera. It's indicative of your love of nature.  :) That's a philodendron, am I right? We are trying to maintain an orchid at Pearl's, in her kitchen window. I am good with her patio plants, but I haven't had luck with orchids in the past. This one is doing something I hadn't heard of before : it's "sleeping", which means it's dropped all it's leaves and is dormant, supposedly for a couple weeks. I thought it had died, but then I Googled it, and it said no, orchids do that, they lose their leaves and "go to sleep". So we'll see if it comes back.

Do you like indoor vines? Something tells me you would do great with a vine plant trained around your living room. I also liked the cup of yellow flowers that was part of your pesto photograph; did you pick those yourself? (My guess is "yes") .......

Here's a question : do you still have your runes? Remember waaaay back, in the beginning (2012-13), when you were reading runes, and you also had a bowl, I don't remember the name of it but it was a ceremonial bowl of some type. The runes and the bowl may have gone hand in hand, I'm not sure. But I know you were adept at reading them in those days.  :)

It was an official Char-Broiler here today : 115 degrees. My air conditioner was barely hangin' in there. Thank goodness the power didn't go out. I did go for a CSUN walk earlier tonight around 9pm, the temp was down to the low 90s by that time, not too shabby. Tomorrow is Round Two of the upper level heat, but I must admit that it really doesn't faze me, at least when the humidity is not extreme, and it wasn't too bad today. In other words, I've felt worse days when it was only 100 or so, when the humidity was cranked up to Swamp Level.

I'm still listening to Bruckner, whose birthday was yesterday. You mentioned writing for strings and I hope at some point you will give it a go, even though it's no doubt a lot of work. Even if you don't do it right away, or even for a year or two, just plant that seed in your head and you will eventually do it (if you want to, that is).

In thinking of Bruckner, he and Mahler were hugely influenced by Richard Wagner, all three of whom I have discovered in the last ten years or so. Mahler and Bruckner built on what Wagner started, and Wagner wrote operas, not symphonies. But all the same, Wagner was maybe the first to really compose extended and very subtle movements for strings, so subtle that they really bring out the emotion in his music. When you listen to the instrumental sections of "Tristan und Isolde" or "Parsifal", you can hear what he is doing in this regard, and in that respect, when I have listened sometimes, I think he is the father of all movie soundtrack music, especially that of the melodramas of the 1950s. Subtlety is the key for that kind of music.

Well, that's all I know for tonight. And that I love you. See you in the morning.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment