Sunday, September 13, 2020

Moog Master Hank + Smoke + Love & Music

 Elizabeth, I have to ask : Is that a Mini Moog behind Hank, in the picture you posted today? It sure as heck looks like a synth of some kind, specifically a Moog (with all the connecting wires), and there's a also a blue box next to it, maybe a mixer of some kind or effects box. I didn't notice it at first, because in Instagram Stories the picture goes by pretty fast, but after looking at it a few times, I noticed the background, and I was like "whoa! That's a Mini Moog"! Then I thought : "wait a minute, are you telling me Hank plays a synthesizer"?

Lol, just kidding. But I did think, "well, maybe he's not your Mom's cat after all", unless your Mom has a synth in her living room. If you remember, that was my guess upon seeing Hank for the first time, that he belonged to your Mom. But now I'm changing my guess to Anna, because I remember from your videos that her music has an electronic element, so that's gotta be her setup, am I right? (and now I'm not so certain it's a Mini Moog, because as I recall, they don't have wire ports, just dials and keys. But it still looks like a Moog of some kind).

Well anyhow, it's totally cool! I should mention that I'm a huge (pronounced "hyooge") Mini Moog fan, because of the unique sounds it gets, and because two of the greatest rock keyboardists, Rick Wakeman and Keith Emerson, used it a lot in their music. I may have even mentioned Rick Wakeman's new album, and that he plays a ton of Mini Moog solos on it.

Now I'll have to include Hank in that group, of the greatest synth players of all time.  :):)

I hope you had a nice day. We are still doing the Smoke Filled Sky thing here in Southern California, and all up and down the West Coast, so I stayed inside for most of the day. No hike for the fourth day in a row, but I did finish Paul Tremblay's "Survivor Song", a masterpiece of horror but decidedly not for the squeamish.

Very poetic, though, and poignant.

I did go on a CSUN walk earlier tonight, after checking the air quality index online. By that time, the AQI was at a "moderate" level, so I went out, but with my mask on, to be safe.

Tonight I am listening to a 1913 recording of "Parsifal" by Richard Wagner, released on CD by Naxos. The orchestra was conducted by Karl Muck, who was reputed to have been a great Wagnerian. The sound quality is, as you would imagine, less than stellar, but in a way it adds to the presentation, because you can hear the hiss and the clicks and pops of whatever the recording medium was at the time, perhaps a metal cylinder of some type. And the music itself is very expressive, so quiet and subtle, but coming from the composer's soul and being received as such by the listener. What blows my mind, is that it's still alive. That performance, from 1913, with all it's clicks and pops, comes into your ears as you listen and if you listen on headphones it goes directly into your head.............and it's as if you are there.

I love you and hope you had a nice evening (and something good for dinner, which I am certain you did). 

See you in the morning. I love you, Elizabeth.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)


No comments:

Post a Comment