Saturday, September 12, 2020

Watercolors, Woods and Songs (for Elizabeth)

 Elizabeth, I'd say you're quite good with watercolors. I know I'm only going by a single painting, and I'm not trying to be a "yes man", but as I said in my Instagram message, the flowers look real. The colors are realistic, especially the dark brown of the center of the flowers (with a little bit of a black halo). They look good to me, and they look like the same kind of flowers that were in the cup in your pesto photograph. I'd call them daisies, though I don't know if that's correct. Daisies, or maybe small sunflowers. And, I am guessing they grow in your field across the street? That's why I also guessed that you picked them yourself, meaning the ones in the cup.

How long have you been painting anyway? Painting and drawing? A long time, I'd say. You show a lot of natural talent, but did you also take classes in school? You inspired me to get my sketchpad out, along with my Prismacolors. I won't be able to paint until I have a bigger place to live, but that will happen too. I haven't tried watercolors yet, but can you guess what I still have?

I still have one of my very first paintings, perhaps my first. It's a self portrait made in kindergarten, in 1965. It was made with the kind of paint used by children; tempura I think. Of course, all kids go through a fingerpainting exercise in grade school, usually in kindergarten. My self-portrait looks like what you'd imagine from a five year old, but the cool thing is that I still have it. My Mom saved it for me through the years, and it's survived two major earthquakes, several moves, and the fact that I wasn't even aware of it's existence until about 1998. So, it's cool to have, but I'm more proud of my later work, haha.

I liked your photos from earlier this morning, too. The flowers in the field are beautiful, and all in all it just looks like such a magical place -  a good place to go to and a good place to be. Is that your friend Anna in the second pic? It's great to be able to share such a place with a friend, and it's easy to see how special that field is, and the surrounding woods. The feeling of a place is everything, and it becomes more ingrained the more you visit. You come to know it, and it knows you.  :):)

I haven't been on a hike for the past few days because of the smoke in the air. As you probably know, California (and all of the West Coast) is on fire again. This never used to happen, but it happens every year now. And it can't be because of Mother Nature. The same rain has fallen for eons, and the same vegetation has grown, and become overgrown. And the same heat has dried it out, and the same high winds have been in effect. And of course there are fires every year regardless. But this annual spate of catastrophic fires is something new, and we need to figure out what is causing it and do something to prevent it. Then we'll be back to our "blue skies and golden sunshine, all along the way", in the words of our resident weatherman David Lynch. :):)

I have to again tell you that your song is superb. I listened to it many times today and it made me very happy. You sing about enjoying the moments in life, "no matter how small", and the thing is, those are very often the best moments of all. You have a quality in your voice, Elizabeth, that expresses everything you sing about in the most spiritual of ways. Please keep writing songs.

That's all I know for tonight, except for that I love you. See you in the morning.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

  

No comments:

Post a Comment