Saturday, August 8, 2020

Drawing

Dear Elizabeth,

I was really glad to see your post on Instagram. After not seeing anything for the past three weeks I was worried. That's a nice self-portrait. It's really good, too (naturally), and I guess you've been drawing for a long time. You mention drawing your eyes large, and I have to say that they are what really got me the first time I saw you, in the "Autre Temps" video. At the end of the song, you kind of looked down and closed your eyes, and for me, that was it : "Who is this girl"!  :):)

Your eyes are also shining in the video for "Where She Walks", in the middle section where you are sitting in the field singing and looking directly at the camera. I watched it again yesterday; it's another great song that, if you put it alongside the ones you have written recently, would make one hell of a start for a new album.

I'm just sayin'.

As for drawing, I've gotta get back to it myself. Last year I completed seven "actual drawings", meaning representative as opposed to abstract. As I've mentioned, they took a longer time for me to draw, because I absolutely do not have a natural talent for that kind of drawing, but they turned out quite good and were very satisfying. Let's see, in 2016 I did a ton of drawing, about a dozen abstracts all in the same style, that I am really proud of. They're weird and psychedelic, but they're "all me". Then in 2017, I tried pencil sketching and failed miserably. Gave up after a few tries.

But then in 2018 I was back. I got some charcoal sticks which led me to another abstract style. The medium influenced the end result. You've gotta have the right tools for the job to get excited.

And then, last year I was drawing with my newly purchased Prismacolor pencils, which you had mentioned using several years ago. That led me to buy a box, and I made my first attempt at Actual Drawing (not counting stuff from elementary school). My Prismacolor drawings are like cartoons. They're primitive, comparatively speaking, but they are original, and I was glad I was able to finish so many.

But this year..........nothing so far. I haven't drawn a single thing. But when I do, I want to continue in the representative style, for now.

Anyway, I am super glad you're back. I'm hoping we can fix things on Facebook, too. I am really tired tonight, but I will write more tomorrow. Everything I've said recently still stands.

I love you.


No comments:

Post a Comment