Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Halloween Rules (plus Dodgers & Birthday)

All in all, a very enjoyable Halloween. Because it fell on a Tuesday this year, I had to take Pearl to Golden Agers and so could not go on a Santa Clarita hike as had been my recent tradition. But then, the main trails at Placerita and Walker Ranch are closed anyway, as previously mentioned, so no harm done. I wound up going to Aliso and had a nike hike there, and after all, Aliso has the ancient woods and dry creek and is as Halloweeny as the best of them. I guess I take it for granted because it's so close (2 & 1/2 miles from my apt.) and because I've been up there so many times as opposed to the further trails, but anyway the vibe was great, under an overcast sky, in stilled air that was cool but not cold.

Back at Pearl's I carved my usual two pumpkins. The main difference this year was that The Kobedog was not out there helping me. In years past, he would always be on the porch with me, wearing his orange and black Halloween vest with the jack-o-lanterns on it, and he would assist the carving. I think he may have been out there anyway. This time he was there as The Ghost Of Kobedog. And all kidding aside, I am not kidding, because he is always with me.  :)

We got a fair amount of Trick-Or-Treaters, maybe 25-30. We've had as many as 50 in past years. I don't know what a huge procession amounts to. Maybe in some houses or on some streets, they can get a couple hundred kids, I dunno. But we always have fun. I've been doing Halloween here at Pearl's since 2010, and I usually keep the shop open til about 8:30 or so. Tonight they kept coming until 9pm, so I stayed late. It seems the hours of Trick-Or-Treating have changed, or maybe they have reverted. Back in the early 70s, it was not that big a deal to keep going until 10pm. Most folks had already shut things down after 9, but some were still going strong, and so until I was 12 or 13, we kept at it til 10. And it looks like things are tending back in that direction. Up in Northridge, when I went home and went for my walk, I saw The Older Kids in groups, still out and about at 9:45.

I say "Keep It Going"! But it's up to the Trick-Or-Treaters. If they keep coming, I'll keep handing out the Kit Kat bars (this year's treat). But they've gotta be dedicated and arrive en force. Regiments of 'em.

Then I'll stay open all night. Imagine a Trick-Or-Treater at 4am.....

I guess it's because I love Halloween so much. And you know you do too.

Why is it? Why do we love - all of us, the Whole World (or most folks anyway) - why do we love Spooky Fun so much?

It's simple : because we love the idea of The Supernatural, and we envision it to be Fun.

To be able to Cross Over Between One Side And The Other, with ease and with no worries.

Ghosts can already do it. So can Spirits. So we want to be able to do it too! We physical people.

In ancient times, the crossover was more apparent than it is now. Back then, they had Banshees, Goblins, Faries, Boogiemen, Elves, Trolls and all sorts of other phantasms running around in these three dimensions. But eventually electricity came and scared 'em all away. Or made it so we can't see them anymore. Cars too, and buildings and cities. They don't like all that stuff.

But because they like Halloween, and they like being in The World - just like we do - they are always willing to give it a shot and appear wherever they can get a booking. Which is why you've gotta keep an eye out for them nowdays. I do, as you know. I am always on The Lookout for our friends

And that's really what Halloween is about, friends and friendliness. Between neighbors, and people from a few blocks down, and........all the Ghosts, Goblins and Monsters we are celebrating. They are our friends, too, Frankenstein and Dracula and The Wolfman and all of 'em.

So that's Halloween, when the doors open between worlds, and everyone crosses over and goes Trick-Or-Treating on The Other Side, at least in imagination and/or in spirit. And in doing so, everyone makes friends. Spooky is Good. :)

Pearl and I watched the Dodgers in The World Series as the evening unfolded, but then the pressure became too great and I had to switch back to TCM, which was showing "The Haunting", a haunted house classic starring Julie Harris. We stayed with that; it was easier to take than another baseball clifhanger.......but The Dodgers won! And that's why I don't watch. End of story.

It's all too much, as George Harrison said.

I ended the night by watching "It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown".

Probably so did you.  :):)

P.S. Elizabeth, I must add a Happy Birthday to your Mom. I hope I did not overstep my bounds by posting a "like" on your FB photos this morn (just cause it's you and your Mom), but they were nice pictures, and it's a great day to have a Happy Birthday, I think.

See you in the morn.  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment